Coming off Amitriptyline advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have been on Amitriptyline 5mgs (started as 10mgs several years ago but reduced to 5mgs two years ago) for some time now. I take it for chronic headaches/migraine. It has worked to a certain extent and is great for helping you sleep, However, I have now decided I would like to come off it altogether. I took my last 5mgs a week ago. Since then, I have felt absolutely exhausted, no energy and my sleep is now very erratic - some nights I can't get enough sleep and others I can't seem to get to sleep! How long are these symptoms likely to last? Does anyone have any advice please? My GP suggested that 5mgs would be fairly ineffective but obviously not........!

Thanks smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I wonder if it had been better to reduce your dose very slowly (although I'm unsure if you can get Amitriptylline in anything lower than 5mgs) over a period of weeks rather than just stop it. 
  • Posted

It's probably the effects of the drug dunno how long it stays in you system I was told don't just stop it as it will be hell 5mg is very low but it seems it's worked on you I started on 10mg and I was a zombie the next day Only had 2-3 bad nights on it 30-40 mg now

You said it been on it for several years your body and brain is use too it like any long term drug Rit's hard to get off Your body has built up a tolerance too the drug

• Posted

I suggest you go back on your 5mg again, just for a week.  Buy a pill cutter from a chemist and then cut them into half for another 2 weeks.  You can cut the half into two again for another week.  This way the medicine leaves your body very gradually and you won't notice it.  I did that with Citalopram which I was on before I started Amitrip.  With Amitrip, as I mentioned to Sarah I just stopped my 20mg with no bad side effects.  I suppose we are all different.
  • Posted

Thanks for that. I do have a pill cutter and that's how I got to take 5mgs - I just cut the 10 mg tablets as that's the lowest dose you can get! I could try cutting the halves I have but not sure it will work as it will be so tiny! Alternatively, I could just persevere and see how I feel. I would just like to know how long my lethargy is going to last......but as you say, I guess we are all different!

Thanks anyway!

• Posted

Without undermining the physical effects of withdrawing Amitrip I also wonder if there is an element of psycological effect involved.  We expect to feel bad because we are withdrawing it, so we do.  Instead of sitting home and feeling bad go take a walk in today's lovely sunshine.  Your first few steps might be a bit of a struggle but you will soon perk up.  Believe me I have tried it and it has worked.
    • Posted

Thanks for that. Yes, I too wondered about the psychological effect involved....as with dependencies. However, I am not a person who sits around at home. I go for a run everyday (even when I feel lethargic and it's pouring down with rain - like it is here today!) and am extremely active. If I sat at home, I would feel far worse! I will persevere and just put up with it! Thanks anyway.
  • Posted

I was on 150 mgs of amitriptyline for over a year and my doctor decided to stop it cold turkey and switched me to trazodone 25mgs then upped my dose to 50 then 100.  I had the wickedest headaches and dizziness and all over bitchiness than i have ever had.  Not sure what his logic was to stop it cld turkey instead of tapering down but it was an aweful feeling and I suggest everyone tapers down slowly to avoid al of the side effects.
  • Posted

I take amitriptyline on a night at 50mgs and have been taking them now for six years.  I have been told not to stop them without the doctor knowing as i would have bad withdrawal symptoms.  i think you need to see your doctor again and talk to them about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.