Coming off Amytriptiline

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on amitriptyline for 3 years 25mg. I went my doctor who dropped the dose to 10mg and told me to take them for a month then stop. I actually took them for 3 weeks with no side effects then dropped to 5mg for 2 weeks.

I have now been totally off for 2 weeks and apart from a little bit of itching have been fine.

Just thought I would let you know that it is possible to come off without withdrawal symptoms.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have just spoken to my MS she is swapping to its baby brother notripyline as I am quite sensitive with it I will try anything

Lina

• Posted

Hi Christine, you are very lucky unfortunately there are many factors involved with these, there are alot of people who are not so lucky and suffer with terrible withdrawal symptoms, myself included.
    • Posted

Hi Paula. Sorry to hear you are having a bad time. I thought that I would share my experience so that people would know that it is not always a traumatic experience. I am sorry to hear that you are having a bad time. I hope things get better fir you.
    • Posted

Hi Christine thank you, I am really pleased that you are no longer taking these and feel fine.  I have been off them completely for over 4 weeks, and the scariest symptom was my blood pressure rising to 155/107 each time, putting me near heart attack or stroke territory, otherwise my blood pressure is normal and always has been.   I had to taper by tiny amounts and was very ill for 2-3 weeks and have been signed off a lot from work, it took me 8 tapers, so 8 lots of withdrawals.  So, it scares me for others out there like me and want to raise awareness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.