Coming off an anti-depressant suddenly

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've recently been prescribed Sertraline (Zoloft) for anxiety and have been taking it for around 2 weeks.  For the first week, I was only taking half a tablet a day, and then for the past week I've been taking a whole tablet a day.  However, it's been causing me some problems, so I was wondering if coming off it now, after only 2 weeks, would cause withdrawal symptoms.  I'd be grateful to have some information if anyone knows anything about this.   

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

They say it is not advisable to come off that type of medication suddenly,but I would ask your doctor first.I have been prescribed all sorts of medication for anxiety but have always resisted taking anything for fear of withdrawal symptoms.

That is not to say that I still suffer dreadfully with health anxiety,but I am hoping that CBT will help me.

ask you doctor first.

• Posted

Do you suffer from anxiety or depression, or does the anxiety cause the depression?

What is the root cause for you to be on sertraline?

• Posted

I took it for 2 weeks and had no problem coming off.  Sure, in my case it was replaced by another medication.  Question, why are you coming off and why not call your Doc for another medication?
    • Posted

Hi there, I won't go into too much detail haha but basically it's been affecting my sex life; I haven't been able to reach orgasm since I started taking it and apparently this is a common problem with sertraline.  The reason I want to come off it pretty much straight away is that I'm going away with my boyfriend to Paris for a romantic holiday on 21st August and I'd prefer things to be back to normal by then!  Talking to my doctor would involve getting an appointment, which at my practice can take quite a long time (at least a week or two).  Which medication are you on now, and do you find it has any side effects?
    • Posted

Can't blame you. ;-)   I'm taking DivalProex SOD ER and so far in 20 days apprenetly is starting to work but at a very slow pace.  With Sertraline  had headache, sweats and insomnia.  I had no problem with my Mechanical functions. jejejeje  With new medication I have "0" side effects so far.  I take it for anxiety, lack of air and light headed 24/7.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.