Coming off Anti Depressants - Has anyone going through this or achieved total AD Free

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was last on here seven months ago - Only managed to hit 53 days - was admitted to a rethink centre - They put my back on a lower does of  10mg Citalapram -after 4 days bads headaches again -Come off Citalapram for 32 days -headaches went but the withdrawal and other systems were to terrible to cope  --Tried 3 other anti depressants -all caused me the same problems -horrendous head --I spoke to my psychiatrist  who agreed that a cannot tolerate anti depressents after 17 years -  Now again i am on 32 days today -still struggling  - seeing a psychiatrist ,Cpn nurse , using Crissis , doing meditation , Mindfulness , i am having some bad systems and i have no way back - My GP said that there is nothnig to help discontinuation syndrome ..My psychiatrist has given me some Lorazepam to help occassionally with stress and anxiety .

I am still struggling so i have decided to go to Hypnotherapist to see if this will help -- Just wondering if anyone takes 5HTP and it helps systems and depression ?? - And if you can take it with Hrt patch -- And does anyone really know how long it takes before you feel yourself after Anti depressents discontinuation syndrome  ?? There does not seem to be much data .. I read that you could feel yourself  after approx 3 Months to 3 Years -- Anyone been through this i would love to hear from anyone -who has sucessed and are Free from Anti Depressents ..Thank you 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've taken 5-HTP and its helped and have just restarted it again.  You need to take l-tyrosine with it too.  You need to be off all prescribed SSRI's though before taking 5-HTP as dangerous to take both.

I did have to restart Citalopram 2 years ago though, as my son became ill and the stress began to be too much for me, so I restarted before I sunk too low.  I've spent the last year coming off again and have just started 5-HTP again with l-tyrosine and still feeling good.

5-HTP works much quicker that prescription meds, and there's no side effects or withdrawl either (mind you we're all different so could affect some and not others).  Don't know about having an HRT patch with it though haven't seen any bad reports about using both.  Best check with your doctor though.

I can message you with a recommendation of a book about 5-HTP.  Explains about it and what it does and how.  Quite interesting.

K x

• Posted

Thank you for replying - Just not feeling myself -Gp's cannot or do not want to help you when you need to come off AD ..I watched something on U tube  that gave me  information at 5-HPT. Yes please if you could send my the information of the book that would be great ....I hope you are feeling a little better and that you get back to yourself soon .. N x

• Posted

I think GP's also underestimate just how bad it can feel when starting or withdrawing from these meds.  Usually reinstating a small amount of the medicine helps but of course if these make you unwell it wouldn't be a good idea.  As you been off them for 32 days maybe ask the pharmacist or GP if you can take.  

I'll message you too.

K x

• Posted

Yes i totally agree i was in the Gp's yesterday - nothing was mentioned about me coming off my meds i do no know that look further than putting you on tablets  -Asked about 5htp he said he did not have any problem with me taking it - Strange nothing else was said about the subject .Be reading you get side effects if on it a long time -a bit worrying -do not ever want to go through what i have been going through on and off for 8 months ,i would not wish it on anyone it just takes over you life ..

Not sure how long it will last .. i would like to feel better - i have ordered some 5HTP it should be with me in the next couple of day  ..Desperate !! Hope it helps even just a little bit .Thanks again for taking the time to write back to me ..Hope things are going ok for you too.

• Posted

Some GP's take their patients off these meds far too quick too and the poor people suffer real bad.  I've taken this last year withdrawing and haven't had any withdrawal effects at all.

If you do happen get side effects from 5-HTP its absolutely nothing like taking Citalopram.  I took 5-HTP for a year and felt well all that time - the only thing I did get at the beginning was mild indigestion.  Nothing else.  You can stop whenever too - no weaning off and no withdrawl.

Be sure you take l-tyrosine with the 5-HTP too as I believe I read 5-HTP can wear off a little after some weeks and the l-tyrosine helps to boost it (or something along those lines .... its in the book so I'll have to look it up).

I also read you can take St Johns Wort along with 5-HTP too - but don't take these with Citalopram.

Yes it does take over your life doesn't it.  You live it and breath it every second of the day.  People just don't get it if they haven't experienced it - it's so much more frightening than they can ever imagine in their wildest dreams. 

Really hope it helps.  Let me know how it goes.

K xx

• Posted

Just hoping i can take it - as i have been having issues with my stomach and my Gp have given me a course of antibiotics - i cannot take St Johns Wort with my HRT patch -thinking that i may find something natural for that to it is causing me to many problems .. Thank you for you help  xx
    • Posted

Is the stomach problem due to taking Citalopram?  Sorry you can't take St Johns Wort - there's always something we can't take, isn't there sad

I like natural meds, though of course have to have prescribed ones sometimes.  My grandmother always said there's a cure for everything somewhere out in our hedgerows.  wink

K x

• Posted

They say it is diverticulitis -then another Gp says something else - I am also going to look for a natural product to see if i can replace the HRT Patch.I had a blood test this morning to see if any signs of problems in them . biggrin 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.