Coming off antidepressants

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi iv been on 45mg mirtazapine for 6yrs which I'm sure is 2 long. Iv spoke 2 my docter 2wks ago bout coming off them so she has put me on 30mg. How long will it take for me to get weened off them?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am weaning off 45.....down to 26.25 over 5 months. The hardest bit is the last 15. Some have no problems others really struggle. See how you go with the drop to 30.

Do you have any side effects from it ?

• Posted

At first I did notice a change & people noticed at my work. I was so down but by Monday I was back to my normal self. So I take it my docter will keep me on 30mg for awhile?

• Posted

Yeah the tablets helpt me a lot but after being on the high dose for 6yrs & no I was a lot better, I asked 2 get weened off them

• Posted

I was on 15mg for 11 years I can’t off it very easily, sounds like you had the same thing happen to you felt bad for a day or two then felt good, so that means it shouldn’t be terribly horrible. I’ve been off for about 3 months now no problems, except losing weight lol
    • Posted

Why do you say cos she fely good for a couple of days then bad she should be ok coming off them ?
    • Posted

Because it is eliminated through urine waste I’m 2 or 3 days, you’ll feel the drop after that.
    • Posted

Just don’t read horror stories online, that will only set yourself up for failure, I promise I have gad, borderline ptsd, depression. I came off it smoothly, just like every other drug I have tapered, just use zofran during the day for nausea and melatonin at night for sleep, and if you can’t sleep from a melatonin, take a 12.5mg phenergan smile I promise you that you can do it, just don’t look at horror stories online. Drink a lot of water tons of it. Remeron is eliminated through urine waste.
  • Posted

After taking it for over 15 years.  I started weaning at 30mgs. very very slowly.  Cut the 30 into quarters and took the crumb for a week, then took the other quarter to wean from 15 mgs for two weeks, then cut the 15 in half = 7.5 mgs for 3 weeks.  Then 7.5 mgs. every other day then every 3 days, etc. BUT, I could NOT wean lower than 7.5 mgs. without all the symptoms returning that caused me to take the med initially.  I am back at 15 and since it helps me sleep without side effects that I'm aware of, I'll be on that dose for the rest of my life.  I'm tired of suffering.  If you can get off, applause but don't put yourself thru a living hell for too long if you don't have to. 

• Posted

Did you get withdrawals as you tapered or just under 7.5 mg ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.