Coming off Cit on my own

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking 40mg Citalopram for 3 months, sick of feeling monged out, itching, no energy, yawning, weight gain but blissfully and strangely happy? I want my life back, stressed most probably but at least feeling alive!! I'm on day 2, feeling ok a bit nauseous bit nothing serious, I tryed before but convinced myself id have a heart attack, because of the pressure and discomfort on my chest, all side effects of the cit and convinced I couldnt live without it.. Will I be ok, has anyone else done this? All new to me first time I've been on meds for depression so never experienced withdrawal if any?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Cold turkey did not work for me with a few days, I had flu like symptoms and severe leg cramps, I went back in after two weeks and tried again over about a n 8 month period of strategic reduction. During the long reduction I did and still have some itching - I have been off Celexa completely for two years this March and not taking any other drugs of any kind. The itching has isolated it's self to areas of my scalp only now - so strange ... Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Thanks Michelle, that's good to hear, day 3 @nd I'm ok, still itching thou, glad to hear your off meds altogether.
  • Posted

Did u see your GP before, putting your self in danger, when u want to stop u do it slowly, 1 week 30 mg, 2wweks 20mg, 3 weeks 10mg then u stop.
    • Posted

Hi Richard, have you stopped taking meds suddenly or have you read somewhere its dangerous? Just curious..dangerous how? Thankyou.
  • Posted

Hi Sam,

Going cold turkey is not a good thing whatever you're on. Once Cita is in your system and you want to com off you should seek your Doctors advice and like someone else said, do it very slowly and very gradually.

However, I don't think you have given it long enough and how long and in what quantities did you get to 40mg? Around 14 months ago I started on 10mg and increased by 10mg each month, the Doctor suggested upping to 20mg, I felt after a month I needed 30mg and at the next appointment we jointly decided I just needed the extra to level out at 40mg. The side effects from the start were bad, plus I had flu, which I believe was partly my body shutting down (like my mind due to work related stress) and the effects of Cita. After a pretty personally sh*tty 2015 I am still on 40mg and once again at the level that suits. I have wanted to come off for some time, but those personal things knocked me about a bit so I am still here! Someone asked if they're working why come off? Well, I never took drugs unless I had to so, I want to see. Obviously, the good souls here have suggested (as has my Doctor) that I may stay on 40mg or a reduced dose for ? ? ? ? who knows?

Wanting your life back sounds like you never found your level yet and I don't believe in "normal" and I certainly don't believe that the life we are forced to live today is right. There is too much pressure to keep those who have having more and those who don't never having it. Otherwise the world would be a better place.

I have removed myself from that and those which made me ill (work and scum) and I am certainly not going back to be a slave to anyones system (apart from my and my beloveds own!)

I am not pumping any politics, religion, pseudo hippiness or false hope, just reality!

Please, talk with your Doctor and at least give it another try because we have all been there and this side (once yer there of course) is far, far better!

I hope things sort themselves out for you, keep posting and reading!

Best wishes,

David

• Posted

Hi David when I first started cit I was a manager, very stressed totally worn out, I too have removed myself from all that's negative, I work in a corner shop now..its a step down but I'm happy, the first doc I saw said these pills won't arent magic you need to make the changes and I have. I was given 20mg by first doc reviewed by a different dic who spoke to me for 2 mins and bumped up to 40, mental health care is disgusting, there's lots that need changing, nit due to go back till May; what a joke, but seriously I'm ok slight headache and feeling like I'm bk in control slightly. Sorry for poor grammar on my tiny phone. Thanks for advice.
    • Posted

No problem! Ditto, I was Transport Manager (for a charity) with crap office manager and chair of board. And business wonders why good people leave?

Like I said I am not going back, actually looking for a little part time work until I can get my book published (fingers crossed on that one!).

Ihave learned a lot from this site and especially katecogs who should by now have earned her wings! I have found being here, even as things have improved has helped me by helping others and I now do a little counselling. I am looking at getting qualified now nearing the big 6 0 and feel I have the maturity (rare, I know for most men Lol!) and knowledge and def experience to help more. There is so much that is bad out there and this government is not helping, I for one hope to be a part of chaning that too.

So, keep posting, reading, learning and in touch - it is like one big all inclusive club for those who have sticking plasters for the brain! (There I got both those sayings in me post - I usually do as they are cool).

All the very best,

David

• Posted

20th Feb and I'm bk on Cit after having a very bad reaction to coming off them suddenly, still experiencing head aches but the dizziness has subsided. To cut a long story short the intial doctor that prescribed me 20mg said I should not have jumped to 40mg it caused me to experience a state of euphoria, I was bumped up to 40 and told not to come back until end of may, I shall be staying on them until spring 2017 and I am NOT looking forward to reducing and coming off them all together but fingers crossed it will done properly and the right way. Looking forward to better times having set myself back in the treatment process.
    • Posted

Hi Sam,

Well, your honesty does you proud.

We did mention that it is never a good idea to go cold turkey as once Cita is in yer system (from day one) you have to reduce slowly and gradually. Please do not read this as a "told you so" far from it is a post of support!

So, it is great that you have come back to post yer experience and hopefully we will all benefit from your experience (horrible as it was).

Let us know what you do and how it goes.

Bestest Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.