coming off citalipram

Posted , 13 users are following.

i have been off citalopram for 6 months now and still suffereing side effects has this happened to anybody else

2 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I've suffered anxiety issues now for around 6 years in that time I have started on 20mg and currently at 40mg.

When in bad bouts I suffer from hurrendous sleep issues. I recently went back to my GP who has advised me to taper my cit. 1 week 40-30-40-30etc then 30-30-30-30 etc on a weekly basis then lower and lower but steady. He also gave me mirtazapine 15mg at night. First 3 days slept fine so far so good. Still quite anxious and have a fast heart rate and a bit groggy throughout the day but better than not sleeping!!! Anyone out there have similar experience out there to talk to??? Anyone out there on similar medication that can advise and let me know how they are doing??

I've tried to find groups where I live but there is none which is a shame as I think group thearpy would be awesome.

• Posted

Oh gawwwd, I was prescribed Mirtazapine 30mg as a substitute for Citalopram, I couldn't even tolerate it. Within 30 mins of taking it, I was almost knocked unconscious. Weak legs unable to barely walk. Was great for putting me to sleep though. I dread to think the withdrawal affects of that though. I took it around three occasions when I was feeling in despair, have binned the rest. Incredible thing was the doctor was happy to give me this and yet reluctant to give me Diazipam.

• Posted

I just completed a 4-week fast taper 3 days ago. From 40mg, reducing 10mg every week. Was feeling irritable the last couple of days. Was going to murder someone for littering yesterday, lol. I digress... Feeling awful today. Flu-like symptoms, upset stomach, incredible dizzyness and these brain zaps which are starting to become debilitating. For me, going back is not an option though. I feel like I've completely wasted the last 10 years. I've achieved nothing of significance and worse I feel like my best time of life with my mum is passing me by. I'll update in a few weeks if anyone's interested. If I die, I'll let yous know.

• Posted

Nat-H. Please DO keep us informed. So many of us going through what you are experiencing. I've been off Cit since the 12th of March and still going through symptoms. But I, like you wont be going backwards. Hang in there!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks, John! You, too. Take care, I'll be with you along the way smile

• Posted

i hope you dont mind me replying to you but have you had your vitamin d3 levels checked if not ask your doctor for a blood test Nat-H.
  • Posted

Hi,

I weaned off citalopram over a 6 month period.. I've been off them for about 2 months completely now, it's definitely helped weening off over a longer length of time...

what sort of side effects are you getting?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.