Coming off Citalopram!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys so I've been on Cit for about a month and a half now & I'm wanting to come off. It has made my anxiety SO much worse to where I cannot sleep because I know it's in my body (and it's causing sleep troubles). It has made my intrusive thoughts so much worse and it's scaring me. Unfortunetly I won't be able to be in to see a Psychiatrist until the 5th, so until then I really want to quit the medicine. It's terrifying me. I want to just quit cold turkey but I'm really scared to do that, I'm on 10 mg and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to come off without experiencing the withdrawal effects, I'm super terrified of those too. sad 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am on citilapram and on 40mg now. But 7 years ago I was on 20 mg and came off it after 18months. I was advised to do it slowly. So if your going to come off it miss 1 every 3 days for a few weeks the 4 days and so on.

In my experience it can take this medication up to 2 months before it starts to work. It took 2 months for me to work then I started getting better. It was worse for me before it got better.

• Posted

Hi bobby! thank you for the reply. I'm not quite sure i understand though, do I miss for three days, and then take one, and then miss for three days again?

• Posted

After seeing my physciatrist she told me 5 months isn't long enough to have any really bad side effects so I went from 30mg which is what I was on down to 20 for 2 days then down to 10 for only 2 days then quit cold after that, everyone is differebt but atleast for me I only had slight headaches for about 2-3 days after completely stopping but now I'm fine and I'm almost a week off of it my sleep has improved my appetite has improved my anxiety has decreased significantly and my symptom that is causing my anxiety and is made worse by it too has lessened, coming off was the best move I've made yet, I had the choice of switching to a benzo or hyrdoxzine but benzodiazepines make we nervous about taking them so I choose the hydro and it has helped a bit but honestly coming off helped the most, again just my experience and you'll have to make your own decision based off your situation just thought it'd help to get a little more info

• Posted

Aw wow thank you so much! This totally helps. I'm hoping I have a good time coming off of it like you. I didn't take it last night so I will just continue to not take it! 

I'm really just scared of getting the "brain zaps" haha. But hopefully I don't! 

I too am scared of taking benzos. I took about .25 of a Xanax the other night and got REALLY scared and even more panicky. Ahg. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.