coming off citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi there

i am new to this site and i know many people posted similiar things but i just need some help and advise from people that went through it ,so i had been on citalopram 40 mg for just over 3 years for postnatal depression,for the last few months i felt really good so decided to come off it,my gp told me to come off it slowly ,and i did took about 6 weeks,and now i am feeling like i am going backwards,the withdrawal symptoms are awfull,i am very snappy all the time just cant help it,its so unafir on my family (i have 4 children)i am feeling sick constantly brain zaps very tired cant cope with my normal daily taskssad((( someone please help me and give me some tips how to cope and reassure me that it wont last foreversad does it get any better?i am having suicidal thoughts like i did at the begginingsad any advise would be great

thank you 

anna 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Anna

I'm coming off from 40mg too. I had been on 40mg for about 5 years and went down to 20mg for 4 weeks then 10mg for 2 weeks and then went cold turkey for 2 weeks. Towards the end of the 2 weeks I was getting withdrawal - snappy like you so went back to 10mg alternate days which I am happy with at the moment so will stick with it for at least a month. I am pleased to be down from 40mg to 10mg on alternate days even if I stick with that for quite a while. Try not to rush coming off it. Nice and slowly and gradually seems to be the way to go. I had one morning last week when I was in a "kick the cat" mood- I am an animal lover! but I told myself it was not me and it was withdrawal symptoms and it passed over quickly.

• Posted

hi Carol

thank you for your advise,i am trying to tell myself that its not me but little things can set me off i think i might do what you did and get a very low dosage just to get me through 

thanks again 

ps,keep posting your thoughts and how you are coping good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Anna. I've been on only 10 mg of citropalm for about a year and half but what helped me decide to come off only very recently was that somebody posted oh here about a book which you can also download on the App Store called At Last A Life by Paul David haven't read all of it yet and have down loaded the app to not all of his book relates to my problems but I would encourage you to take a look what he says is so true and you see the blogs from other people he has helped. Good luck stay positive x 
  • Posted

Hello Anna,

If your having suicidal thoughts maybe you should consider staying on the tablets for a bit longer. As you said you felt great recently in my mind this says that they are working for you! I have been on them for over 4 years now.

When your ready maybe look at reducing your dose?

Best of luck with what ever you choose to do.

• Posted

thank you i was hoping that i can do it but sadly seems a lot harder then expected thanks for all your advise will keep you updated xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Hi, I just don't see why you would stop this medication when you feel good? It's helping you 
    • Posted

Yes I go along with this- I started to come off mine because I was feeling rubbish on such a high dose. Feeling much better witghout it but if it is helping don't come off for the sake of it. My circumstances changed and I knew I could handle things better.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your advise , I just don't want to be on the drug anymore sad I did have side effects but nothing that I couldn't cope with , feeling better today , trying to stay strong x
    • Posted

Carol did you manage to come off it completely? How long did it take for the withdrawal symptoms to wear off? No brain zaps todaysmile thoughts much bettersmile thank for any advise
  • Posted

I have tried many, many times to come off citalopram, unsuccessfully. I had the same & that is why I am still on it. Some GP's believe that if they work, stay on them. The Psychs advise to stay on them for at least 6mths AFTER you feel well. Why not wean yourself down to a maintenance dose of 20mgs.
  • Posted

Hi Anna,

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.  I would definitely speak with your doc - all your withdrawal effects are normal and they do go away, but it sounds like you are comming off too fast to be comfortable.  It's not a fun thing coming off at the best of times, but I think it's easier if you do it really slowly.  Hang in there.

Best,

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda thank you for your advise , my gp weaned me off it in 5 weeks from 40 to nothing sad didn't tell me anything about the withdrawal symptoms etc , going to see gp today 

Thanks again xx

• Posted

Good for you Anna,

Everyone is different and some have it easer than others to wean off.  I have an aunt weaned herself off over a 6 month period - sounded extreme to me, but she had absolutely no withdrawal effects that she was aware of - she's a nurse and very careful.  Anyhow, hope your doctor helps you out.  \let me know how it goes.

Best,

Linda

• Posted

Hi Anna. I was on 20mg for about 6 years and came down really slowly over the last 6 months. It is best to slow things down. Going from 40mg to nothing in 6 weeks is an extreme adjstment for your body. I did 20/20/10 for a while then 20/10 on alternate days, then just down down to 10 and stayed on that for ages, then 10/5 on alternate days, then just 5mg and then did that for alternate days. After i came off completely i was fine for a week, hardly any physical side effects then i had a very tearful week where i thought i would end up back on them but i seem to have come through it. I've been off for almost a month now and i feel ok. I had also come off the contraceptive pill and i think the tearfulness may have been linked to pms rather than the depression coming back.

If you feel really bad maybe try taking 10mg every day and see how that goes? I know the feeling of just wanting to be off them but it has to be at the right time and taken gently.

• Posted

hi Lisa

thank you so much for your advise ,i am going to see my gp in a minute,see what she says,physical symptoms not too bad today still very angry thoughsad little things annoy mesad trying to stay positive xxxxxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.