Coming off citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have people had any side effects from coming straight off citalopram completely!? Around the start of September I got put on 20mg, then after a month my doctor upped it to 40mg. in the middle of October I went away for the week and stupidly I forgot my medication, however I was feeling great without them, but just wondered if that was because I was on holiday!?

Well, when I came back from holiday I started taking 40mg as normal, however I've been thinking about coming off them as I'm feeling great lately as some things have finally been going my way for once. So I was just wondering is it a stupid thing to come straight off citalopram or is it recommended to slowly ween myself off them and follow what my doctor says next time I have to go back?!

Thanks smile xxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi it may be that you were lucky to not have suffered any withdrawal symptoms. I would wean off them slowly and make sure you really don't need them. I weaned myself off Fluxetine and felt fine for a while, and then started getting panic attacks for the first time. I am now on Citalopram because of it. Speak to your GP for advice if your not sure. Good luck. Elizabeth.
  • Posted

Defo don't just come off them as for me the side affects start on week two!! Ween yourself off them slowly as recommended by doc! Believe me you will regret it if you don't! Just do what you doc days and you will be fine coming off them!!!! Regards Simon 
    • Posted

Thank you the advice, I know I should properly ween of them as suggested. Thank you! smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.