Coming off Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just recently come off Citalopram, and feeling very tearful, fatigued, depressed, and swishing sensation in my head.   Does anyone know how long it takes before you get back to normality after stopping htis drug?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am still taking 10 mg daily.   I was taking 40 mg daily.  When I wentfrom 20 to 10, a lot of side affects occurred.  That was three weeks ago.  I'm finally feeling better and am able to function almost normally.

• Posted

Hi, last time I came off it I did it over period of about a year. Started by taking whole tablet one day, half tablet the other day for ages. Then I somehow managed a half tablet daily. For ages again. Then I was taking half tablet one day and a quarter the other day. Cutting it in quarters with a kitchen knife. After a while I was on a quarter of tablet daily. Then taking the quarter every other day, then after a while every 2 days, every 3 days, until only a quarter once a week or something. Until I wa able to come off completely. Took me at least a year. It's very hard to come off. That's why I did it the way I just described. What doctors says that you can come off in 6 weeks - omg it's impossible!!!

• Posted

How do you feel now? Any side effects while coming off or even now? Think I might try this eventually. And what dose did you start at before tapering?
    • Posted

I was taking 40 mg daily.  My sodium levels dropped while hospitalized.  Hospital docs took me off completely.  When I returned home, I was taking 20 mg daily.  (I was recovering from a broken leg at home.)  I called my shrinks office, and they blew me off.  Clerk did not tell doc I called.  So, I thought the best thing to do was take 20 mg until I could see my shrink.  I finally saw my shrink two months later.  He dropped me to 10 mg daily.  This is when all the side affects started - dizziness, headaches, agitation, unable to sleep, nervousness...   Since I'm down to 10 mg for over a month, all side affects have subsided.  I'm still a bit anxious.  I'm not going to see that doctor any more.  I'm scheduled with another doctor within the next month.  I'm coasting on my meds until then.  Also, my hands started shaking while coming down from the 20 mg to 10 mg.      

• Posted

I came off 20mg over 2 months my GP advised taking 20 and 10 on alternate days, then 10 alternate days.  All was fine until 10 days after I stopped taking them.  It is 4 weeks since stopping, and I still very tearful. Plus I get so angry and irritable at times that I scare myself!   I do not want to start taking them again, so I am just hoping that these feelings subsibe soon, otherwise I will have to see GP again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.