Coming off Citalopram after 4 years - 40mg, halved dose feel horrific!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone help please. Been doing this 2 days now feel horrible. Dizzy. Numb. Weird!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for your reply, you are very right I am emotionless all the time. My doctors were no good at all, I've only been with them for 21/2 years and I don't feel they know me at all.

so would your suggestion be dropping 5mg for a couple of months at a time? It will take a long time but right now I feel I live a really depressing life. I've been on 40mg for so many years and have kinda lost many of them. I definitely think I'll give your way a try and thank you for your advise.

knowing you have successfully done this gives me hope.

Thank you kimmie x x

• Posted

Yes I lowered by 5mg each time and stayed on that for a few months before lowering again.  The last two doses of 2.5 and 1.25 I had to crush (the pill cutter had a crusher too) and then I'd just divide the powder and take that.  I never had any withdrawal symptoms at all ....... and that's saying something because I'd even feel nauseous when I was late taking a regular dose.

A few people I chat to on this site have followed this too and been ok, though I know one of them had some withdrawal.  I suppose some are just more sensitive.  Even if you find the 5mg too much then you can crush each 5mg piece and take half less each day making the transition even smoother, but I'm sure the 5mg will be ok.

I always did well on the meds and had years of being well, but curiosity got the better of me and decided to try without.  I actually think I was on meds for over 20 years (as I forget when I started them) ....... but my reduction took a year and I stopped last year and have stayed well since.  Doing it gradual is kinder to your body too rather than stressing it out with nasty withdrawal effects.

You might find that as you come down your depression may lift, as I do know taking 40mg can often keep your side effects going as some people can't tolerate that high dose.

Hope it goes well.

K x

• Posted

Thank you.x  I am going to try this just don't know when to start tomorrow or after Christmas. X

• Posted

No time like the present.

Reducing by 5mg shouldn't have any drastic impact so why wait?  I started immediately I'd decided ...... and if at any stage I thought I wasn't coping then I'd have stuck to the current dose I was on a bit longer or even went back up to the previous dose.  Luckily I didn't need to.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.