Coming off Citalopram after 7 days?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I've decided to discontinue taking Citalopram 10mg after 7 total doses/days. The side effects were too much to bare. I have not taken any of the medication these last two days. Would I truly need to taper off after only a week? Has anyone done the same with no withdrawal effects after such a short period?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I think if you are feeling not too bad then you dont need to taper. Its recommended to taper if you are on meds for weeks or months. The side effects you were suffering could be as bad as or worse than any withdrawal symptoms. It is not an easy drug to go on! I hope you are feeling a bit better

• Posted

I think if you are feeling not too bad then you dont need to taper. Its recommended to taper if you are on meds for weeks or months. The side effects you were suffering could be as bad as or worse than any withdrawal symptoms. It is not an easy drug to go on! I hope you are feeling a bit better

• Posted

Thank you for the reply and reassurance. I will be switching doctors before I consider a different AD. She insisted there were no side effects, and boy was she wrong after starting them and doing my research. I was having burning/sensitive skin all over, rapid muscle twitching, muscle pain and numbness/tingling in my right arm. I'm not sure if these side effects are common, do you know?? Regardless, I will be more comfortable going to a different doctor with better knowledge in this category. Thank you again!

• Posted

Im sure you'll be fine to just stop them after only 7 days .

Hope the nasty side effects have gone now .

• Posted

Thank you for the reply and reassurance. I will be switching doctors before I consider a different AD. She insisted there were no side effects, and boy was she wrong after starting them and doing my research. I was having burning/sensitive skin all over, rapid muscle twitching, muscle pain and numbness/tingling in my right arm. I'm not sure if these side effects are common, do you know?? Regardless, I will be more comfortable going to a different doctor with better knowledge in this category. Thank you again!

• Posted

i think those side effects are very common , the GP was ridiculous saying there are no side effects .

Hope you see someone with more knowledge and understanding . Take care

• Posted

what and ass of a doctor to say something like that.i had severe withdrawls from a seven day stint on effexor.everything that you mention plus more.

• Posted

How has it been? I am on my 4th tablet (20mg) and will take my fifth one tonight but have decided to cut the tablet in half to get 10mg.

• Posted

I have felt much better mentally and energy wise. I am still having aching joint/muscles and a mild rash though. I'm not sure whether this is common or not. Good luck with your next steps!

• Posted

When I first took them, I stopped after 9 days. Doc said it would be fine. A couple weeks later, I had bouts of crying, agitation, and extreme anxiety. After fighting these feelings for weeks, started back on cit and effects were immediately gone. Im now a year in, taking 10mg and am doing well. I could probably use an increase, but I can manage at 10mg. Hope you figure it out

• Posted

When I first took them, I stopped after 9 days. Doc said it would be fine. A couple weeks later, I had bouts of crying, agitation, and extreme anxiety. After fighting these feelings for weeks, started back on cit and effects were immediately gone. Im now a year in, taking 10mg and am doing well. I could probably use an increase, but I can manage at 10mg. Hope you figure it out

• Posted

Please don't give up! Persevere, it is so worth it! I had a horrific time with side effects and I have just had my dose increased and as ridiculous as it sounds, I am praying for the awful side effects again so I know it's working for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.