Coming off citalopram cold turkey after 9 days!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I started taking citalopram 10mg 2 weeks ago, I took it for 9 days before having to come off it cold turkey after seeing my doctor as bad side effects. Has anyone else had similar thing and had bad withdrawal side effects ? Been off them now 5 days and still feeling really light headed, headaches and sicky ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Not sure whether its side effects, or it could be the depression or anxiety that meant your doctor pescribed them for in first place. 10mg is not a high dose, and 9 days taking them, should mean if its side effects from coming off them, they shouldnt last too long. Has your doctor pescribed something else, for the reason he pescribed cit in first place?
    • Posted

Had alot of problems with my health which got me down, and then being off work on the sick has made my anxiety bad. Think had started getting better with my health and I was starting to feel more myself until I started taking citalopram. Since finishing them now both me and my doctor has decided not to try anything else and to give my body a rest as nothing is agreeing with me. Hoping its just the withdrawal symptoms as they are calming down gradually didn't think they'd be this bad from only taking them for 9 days sad

• Posted

Hi Lucy

I was told it took at least 2 weeks to even have an impact. I remember having those symptoms at the beginning but I thought it was because I was really distressed at the time and when my Gp said I probably needed some ‘help’ like Citalopram- I was probably a bit shocked. I remember feeling sick and a bit light headed. But 2 months in I felt great and so much better. I’ve been on it about 5 years and felt well enough to come off it about 3 months ago. I did feel vertigo a couple of times and dizzy for a couple of weeks - problem is we all react differently to drugs - start off with h different mental states and I guess have different levels of severity. With all drugs it’s a bit of a balance and you maybe have to give it some time - there are loads of similar drugs - so ask FP to suggest an alternative? 

• Posted

Hi,

About my 1st week into them I was really bad to the fact on my 9th day the next morning i woke up and was so poorly. I couldn't even drive I felt so ill, I had an emergency appointment at my gp and he said to come off straight sway. After stopping i thought the side effects would gradually go but I've been feeling really sick ,light headed and like my head is floating constantly. It's only been yesterday that I could start to drive again. Obviously I wasn't taking the tablets for aslong as yourself but how long did it take for withdrawal symptoms to go ?

• Posted

Oh it's side effects trust me...I been there with different ssris..same amount of time as you and same reason..and any milligrams will give you discontinuation symptoms..

• Posted

So happy to hear it's not just me.

How long did you have withdrawal symptoms for ?

And are you feeling better now ?

• Posted

Oh iam recover now..I had discontinuation side effects from been a guinea pig from other ssris..and celexa finally work for me ..I been on celexa 24 months and counting and recovered..
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, yes to both your questions, am pleased to hear your doctor recognised that. Those withdrawal symptoms you mentioned, I recognise them to, despite the short amount of time you have been on them, your brain and nervous system will still need to adjust.
    • Posted

Hi paula,

How long was you taking citalopram for ?

Did you come off them after 9 days and how long did your withdrawal symptoms last. I just want to feel better again. rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Lucy, I wasnt as lucky as you unfortunately my doctor mistook my side effects for something else and gave me more meds, side effects got worse and upped my meds again, thats why I am pleased your doctor recognised how they affected you. Give yourself time to settle, I know withdrawal is not nice, try not to let them scare you and just go with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.