Coming Off Citalopram Successfully

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I just wanted to do a bit of an update since i was on Citalopram for about 10 months. It really helped me through my dark time and helped me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

I decided that i was starting to feel good about myself and had been for a while, so went for it and told me Dr that i wanted to come off the Citalopram. She was very supportive and told me to do it gradually, which i did. I was on 20mg everyday, so took 20mg one day and 10mg the next day for 2 weeks, then 10mg for 2 weeks, then 10mg one day and 5mg the next day....you get the drift until after about 3 months i was totally off them. The first week of reducing the dose to 20mg/10mg i had a feeling of anxiety again which had me worried, but i pushed through and got over that, and i must say that the tapering process was quite easy from then on.

I did what i should never have done, and read far too many negative stories about coming off Citalopram, which scared me....but i am so happy that i bit the bullet and decided to come off the meds as I am surviving perfectly without them.

I totally understand that some people need the seratonin and need to be on these meds forever, however I just wanted to be a positive, supportive thread to anyone else who is looking for a positive story from someone who has successfully come off Citalopram.

I have been Cit free for over a month now, and feel really great about life smile

Good Luck xxx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That is great news.hope you feel positive for the future.
  • Posted

Excellent! Congratulations! And thanks for the positivity!

I was about to start reducing similar to you, but by 5mg not 10mg. However, I have had some set backs and gradually levelling out again and hope at least to try one day!

Thanks Bubblebaby! X

All the best and may it continue,

David

• Posted

Hi Bubblebaby

How are u feeling now. I'm really wanting to come off the Meds. I have days when I feel really good on them then another day I get a fatigued feeling and think that's enough I want to taper off. I was in a bad place back in sep time and went on them after finally going to see my gp, he has been fab but wanted me to carry on. Just so scared to wean off them as like u I've heard and read so many horror stories and tbh starting the meds up back in Oct I had every side effect going. I'm so stuck on what to do. I feel so much happier and and the original amxiety has gone the only thing I worry about now is coming off them. Silly hey..

Take care

Sam x

• Posted

Hi Bubblebaby, I'm on my journey to come off Cit, only was on them for 18 weeks. I've cut my tablets down from 20 to 10, on week two for that then I've got two weeks to go from 10 every other day. Week 1 was really good, week 2 I've got a few dizzy spells and a headache every now and again. Feeling tired when I sit down and stop. Overall I'm feeling really good. Hoping all will be good when I stop completely. Good to read ur story. How u feeling now. Many thanks

Sam xx

• Posted

Hi Samantha 2512,

I'm so sorry that i'm only replying to your questions now...my email address was not alerting me that i was receiving feedback from people. I am still totally off the meds and living life to the full smile I do have days when i think eurgh...can't be bothered etc, but you just have to give yourself a kick up the arse and get into the swing of your day. I've surrounded myself with positivity (people, hobbies etc) which really helps, and I'm looking to the future with bright eyes and a positive outlook. All i can say is STICK WITH IT!! My sister has been on CIT for about 20 years now and following my success she is starting to taper, it's tough, but she is getting there slowly. Everone can do it, it just takes patience, perseverence and positive thinking. Keep me posted on your progress, I'm so glad that my thread has been helpful to others.

All support and hugs xxx xxx 

• Posted

Hi Sam

I've been on cit for 19 weeks and still have anxiety and low mood and intrusive thoughts why did u stop then ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.