Coming off Citalopran

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am coming off after two years, my own choice since it has effected my sex drive and so far I have come down from 40 to 15mg.

I seem to be OK but I notice that I am getting a bit aggressive - does anyone know ifthis is a common side effect. I also have a bit of virtigo and sickness but I am coping with this.

Any suhggestions?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

WellDone for getting down to 15mgs. Yes,what you mention above along with many more nasty things can occur when trying to come off citalopram. They advise to go slow, slow, slow.  you may just need to add in another 5. How do you manage to half a 10mg tablet? Why not try taking 20mgs daily for a week, cutting down to 15mgs by one day/night each week. You could also ask the GP for a one off script for a sleep aid such as Phenergan, zopiclone or temazepam. Again, use sparingly on a PRN (per required need) basis while your body adjusts to coming off citalopram. You are bound to feel irritable & a bit aggressive with a poor sleep pattern & the GP should help accordingly. Good Luck x
    • Posted

Thanks for the feedback but the tinnitus and lack of sex is a major problem - I'd rather be depressed and find another way to beat it!

Hope you are well.

• Posted

I am now donwn to 10mg and feeling very nervous. I am slightly worried that the old symptoms will return but so far that's not happended.

I was hoping that my side effects i.e. tinnitus and lack of sexual performance improve but as yet no such luck - I these would disappear then I am sure I would be more confident.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms and how have they reacted to coming off.

Any feedback would be very welcome: now my doctor has gone on long term sick so my ongoing consultations have also stopped so I do feel vunerable.

Hope to get some information.

Regards to all those who are helping.

• Posted

The vertigo is extremely common when coming off Celexa or with just decreasing the dose. I went through that for a few weeks. I got irritable which I think can also turn into aggression. I think that all bets are off when you decrease this med... just know that it will not last forever!!
    • Posted

You are welcome. I know the process can be difficult... but you will make it through!!! Best thing I have been doing is keeping in constant contact with the people who support me. We need one another!!
    • Posted

Thanks, i've had a bad day feeling sick, head buzing, tinnitus still buzzing and no sign of getting back to feeling normal.

will be on 15 for another 8 days before dropping to 10: it just seems enlless. I appreciate your support.

• Posted

HI

I think symptoms youre describing are pretty normal. Ive just gone into my fourth week of no meds. Started 18months ago on 10mg then after 2months up to 20mg and back down to 10mg after a 12month.

i personally didnt feel any different on 20mg than i did on 10mg and had gained over a stone in weight so i dropped back down.... I was originally perscribed them for cronic anxiety and panic attacks.... A month ago i forgot to pick up repeat perscription and as it fell on a bank holiday it was over a week before i picked it up. so i thought id give it a go cold turkey.. (not really recommended)... I have had side effects but so far theyve been managable but i think  irritability is normal. Ive had days where everything is pissing me off lol.. I take a lot of suppliments fish oil B vits Zinc.. To name a few. Im also a big fan of breathing exercises for anxiety... 

I wish you well... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.