coming off citolpram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ive been on Citolpram almost 10 months many months at 20mg then the last few months at 10mg. I feel ok a bit of anxiety edgy but think this is part of the withdrawel programme. I do intend to reduce to 10mg every other day to avoid withdrawel. If anyone has an experience or suggestion or info please post in response as I am a liitle unsure, many thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi bigarre, ive been on citalopram for 11 years and i feel much better for

being on it. I did try to come of them a few years ago but it is hard work and needs a lot of self control. You are right in cutting down to 10mg per day, but you can also get [b:efea942bf1]liquid[/b:efea942bf1] citalopram from your doctor. That way you can cut down on how much you put on each spoonful over the course of a few months. take it slowly

good luck

• Posted

Hello there.

I have been on Citalopram since January this year. I stayed on 10mg all this time. I wanted to come off them as they wernt helping me with my anxiety so my doctor said to just stop them which i was suprised by but i did as she said. I stopped them on Sunday and today is Thursday and i have felt fine apart from dizziness today. Its not nice dizziness but nothing i cant put up with....

Hope my experience helps in some sort of way. take care x

• Posted

I've been on Citalopram for 18 months because of my ME. I am now coming off them to see how I am without them. I was on 20mg My doctor told me to take a 10mg tablet and 20 mg on alternate days for 3 wks, then 10mgs a day for 3wks, then 10mgs on alternate days for 3wks. I did feel a bit strange (dizzy) but I feel fine today. I'm still working through the above regime.
  • Posted

Hi all been off citolpram for 8 weeks. The withdrawal has been hell good days starting to appear but boy if I have a bad day its bad confusion tiredness etc anyone else? hope your all doing fine thanks.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have been on 20mg citalopram for a couple of months. managed to reduce it down to 10mg no problem, but going down further than that is hell. Dizziness, tiredness, confusion, blurred vision, weird sounds, fizzy head, not nice at all! Tried to do it really slowly but I keep ending up back on the the 10mg daily because I cant handle the withdrawal. Maybe I have no self control or something but I am terrified I will never manage to get off it. Help!

• Posted

I've been on and off Citalopram for about three years now. I've come off them a few times and ended up going back to them, hoping this is the last time though.

The weirdest side effect for me is the 'brain shocks'. Apparently that's the official name for it, or so my GP tells me. Every now and then it feels like my head starts to vibrate inside my skull, a very weird feeling indeed. The GP says it's quite common though. I'm going to try St Johns Wort for a month this time. I've always found Citalopram was good for my anxiety, but did nothing to help my low moods, and actually seemed to make me even more tired.

• Posted

I've been on citalopram since last October, but I decided the time had come to get off it. I have been cutting down gradually, as recommended, and although I have had a few off days as the dosage went down I didn't feel too bad and took the last tablet a week ago.

I was fine until yesterday, when I started feeling dizzy and sick. Initially I thought it must have been something I had eaten! I woke up this morning feeling even worse, tired, weak and watery, brain shocks, and a bit down and realised it must be due to coming off the citalopram.

How long can I expect this to go on? I don't know if I can cope with it for too long. I still have some 10mg tablets left and I'm sorely tempted to take one... but I do want to get off them. At the moment I don't feel I can go to work on Monday feeling like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.