Coming off co-codamol with Chronic Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I really could use some advice.

I have been taking co-codamol for 2 years now. At least a 1 year or more of 8 (or more) a day 30/500mg. I have chronic abdominal pain, neck and shoulder pain

(that I am waiting MRI results for) and bad IBS.

Over the last few weeks I been suffering with headaches everyday, nausea, hot flushes and chest tightness. I have seen that once I take my pain killers that actually if anything the symptoms are worse. I can't cope feeling like this everyday.

I NEED to come off them. I just don't know how I'm meant to cope with my pain and continue to work (which I have no choice to do) or keep up everyday tasks.

I want to stop taking them. So any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Keeleyann, 

sorry to hear you are suffering, in all honesty it sounds as though you are already receiving care and advice from medical professionals and that is where you should be taking your concerns, nobody on here knows your medical history or is really in a position to advise you on what to or not to do. Stopping or altering the medication you are taking should only be done after consulting whichever professional you are currently seeing. Please do not do whatever someone on her recommends just because it sounds good. If you are not happy with the treatment you are currently receiving then by all means ask for a review, or an alternative opinion, that is your right as a patient. I wish you well, and by all means listen to what people on here have to say, but treat it as what it is, a complete stranger who knows nothing about you and it is their point of view only!

• Posted

Keeleyann I'm the same as u....I was taking the same dose but have tapered down to 1 cocodomol in morning and I at night. I couldn't go cold turkey I've experienced it once and couldn't do it again! I went on holiday in August and didn't have enough cocodomol with me...to cut a long story short on day 3 I was so sick...couldnt sleep. ...agitated. ...couldn't drink...dioreahh...hot and cold sweats. I thought I had food poisoning as I didn't know coming off these tablets had side effects. I ended up in hospital totally dehydrated and it didn't Dawn on me till I got home and got my cocodomol and felt great inside half an hour that not taking the tablets had caused all my symptoms! I really am trying now to get off these! I found this group and someone said 5 he 'Thomas recipe' can help with withdrawal so I googled it and got all the vitimins etc it said to use of amazon. I'm taking them now and tapering. So my advice to you would be to Google Thomas Recipe and keep posting on this group. The advice here is fantastic! Good luck hun x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.