Coming off Cymbalta

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on Duloxetine 60mg for about 6 months.  I'm just starting to work off if it. 1-because of all the bad things I've heard about it, and I really don't know that it's helping me, and 2-I need to get on another med that the doc does not want to mix with Duloxetine.  Today is my first day at 40mg.  If anyone has experienced withdraw symptoms tapering off this med, how long did it take to start to notice them?  Do they tend to start at the first taper, once you get down to the lowest dose, or after you've got to zero?  What type of symptoms have people experienced?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've been on a number of ADs over the years and personally I am very sensitive to changes in dose - but not everyone has major problems so you may not notice much in the way of physical symptoms. You should carefully watch your mood though incase you get more down or anxious.

I get the start of symptoms even from being a bit late taking a dose, so I may not be the best example, but I get dizziness/nausea (but no actual sickness) and odd "electric shock" sensations in my head. I get this from a few hours from a missed or reduced dose, but as I say I seem to be one of the unlucky ones !

In the past, quite a few years ago, I've had severe gastric symptoms when withdrawing but I think most doctors are now more aware of the potential side effects when coming off these drugs.

If you come off nice and slowly, don't rush, hopefully you will have minimum problems. Just make sure if you are affected you tell your doctor so they dont rush you (ie don't go straight from 40 to 20 mg next if you have had bad symptoms).

Best of luck and I hope you find a drug that helps you.

Sunny Dee

• Posted

Deffinatly don't rush Jason - just not worth it. Sometimes doctors will switch you straight to another drug (if you are going on to a similar SSRI or SNRI ?) But they have to be careful of interactions so I guess they are cautious but maybe worth asking. I imagine as you are on Prozac too they have to be wary of Serotonin Syndrome.

Personally from my own experience I wouldn't recommend just a week between dose reductions, Do your research and discuss with your doctor.

I had a terrible time coming off of Seroxat years ago when there seemed to be ignorance of the effects of withdrawal and even the small reductions in dose were hideous. I genuinely thought I was dying I felt so bad. So please be cautious And be guided by how you feel, you may be lucky and have little trouble - but please don't be tempted to rush!

Sunny Dee

• Posted

Thank you.  I'm actually switching to an NDRI (norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor).  The Dr will not make the switch until I hit 0 on the Cymbalta.  I would think the risk of serotonin syndrome would be less.  I would also think the norepinephrine reuptake part of the new med would help a bit with lingering withdraw.  I'm also not a Dr!  I will definitely be guided by how I feel as well as my doc and won't put myself in danger.  I just want off this damn medication!

• Posted

I withdrew off of venlafaxine last year after several years. It's also an SNRI like duloxetine so the withdrawals are pretty similar. To avoid severe symptoms take it slowly. In my opinion doctor's often downplay the withdrawal and if anything try to take it too fast.

What really helped me with the venlafaxine withdrawal was high doses of omega-3 oil. It really relieved the withdrawal symptoms like dizziness, brain zaps and nausea. I took 4 1200mg capsules in the morning and 3 late afternoon.

Hope it helps and good luck. It's tough but it's doable.

• Posted

Thank you very much!  I was actually wondering if there was anything over the counter that might combat the withdrawal.  I am taking it slow.  Day 2 at 40mg down from 60mg.  Feeling fine so far.  Even after the initial bad side effects of getting on it wore off, I think the medication made me feel generally worse than before I was on it.  I'm really not opposed to medication in general, but in my opinion, this one is no good and should be saved until most others have been tried.  I'm not rushing to get off Prozac, but if I can stay off Cymbalta for a few months, I might think about a slow taper from that as well.  I've been on it for so long...for all I know, I would feel better with both of them out of my brain!

• Posted

Can one die from withdrawal? I'm being serious. Is there more than just vomitting and migraines to be scared of?

• Posted

I very much doubt anyone can actually die from the withdrawal itself although maybe the symptoms might be enough to tip someone over the edge.
    • Posted

I was told if I kept taking it I would of died. It increased my liver ALT.  Im alerting people who start cymbalta / duloxetine to have blood work before you start the drug and 6 weeks into taking the drug.  In withdrawl can someone die. It feels like you want to die with all the symptons but what got me worst was the thoughts of suicide as there are days in withdrawl where you have waves and you have no thoughts or behaviours your like a zombie.  That's what I found scar 

• Posted

Fortunately, I had full blood work for another reason just a month or so back and all was well.  But if I hear of anyone thinking of getting on this med I will make the same suggestion, after suggesting they think twice about getting on in the first place!
  • Posted

I know everyone is different and I'm not suggesting this to anyone, but I did 40 for 4 days, today will be my second day at 20. I'm still on 60mg Prozac. I feel better than I have in about 6 months (When I started this s**t med). Im watching my self very closely, as is my wife, for withdraw symptom but none to speak of yet. I've experienced benzo withdraw, and alcohol withdraw (both can be fatal) more times than I'd like to remember, so maybe I just have a high tolerance fort this! But so far so good. I'm going to hold at 20 for awhile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.