COMING OFF EFFEXOR COLD TURKEY

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I decided to come off Effexor cold turkey because I feel less sharp and have gained 20 + pounds. I'm 22, 5'5 and weighed 127 a yr ago when I started taking this med. I now weigh I50ish. When depressed I have zero appetite and this drug made me LOVE food more than ever. However, I wasn't nearly depressed enough for this weight gain. I'm now becoming more depressed due to the weight gain. Anyways....today is my 7th day off of 75mg (that was my only dose). Horrible withdrawals!!! Getting a little better every day. I'm down 4 pounds so far. Will the rest come off? When will I feel better, the side effects are effecting my ability to work. I'm throwing up, coughing, sweating...like I have the flu...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You really should never withdraw cold turkey from antidepressants, it can be dangerous. I would highly recommend talking with your doctor asap. They will make sure you are safe xx
  • Posted

It could well get alot worse before it gets better.
  • Posted

Not sensible to go cold turkey it tells you in the leaflet you should never do that,go and see your doctor and go down to 37.5 first
  • Posted

Honestly I am surprised you can function at all. I tapered for 2 months and when I got down to 10 milligrams from 150 ,,,,,the withdrawals were so bad I couldn’t even function and ended up getting back on the lowest dose of 37.5.  It effects everyone differently as far as weight. I wish you luck but don’t think stopping cold turkey is the best way. Just my two cents 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.