Coming off esomeprazole advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi,

have been taking it for almost a year.

i have been told i need to stop taking it in order to have a ph probe test.

i have seen you shouldn't go cold turkey.

i take 40mg once a day.

i have started to alternate eg. i take 40mg one day and 20mg the next and loop that.

is this a safe way to lower the dose before i go down to just 20mg?

thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

only a doctor can give you this advice. usually a very specific diet helps or depending on circummstances hiatus hernia surgery etc. ask the doctor and good luck keep strong

• Posted

All doctors have said to me is to just stop taking them with out tapering, not much help.

i dont have an hernia or anything.

• Posted

I had to do the same GP just said stop. I used ranitidine which GP said I could and was able to stop and actually stayed off for nearly 6 months before needing to start again but on a much lower dose.

• Posted

A few days in to alternating between 40mg and 20mg and I can feel the difference just from that small change.

Last night the pain went up a notch for sure, burning really bad up my back was the main thing.

I don't know how I could just stop cold turkey, it would be insufferable.

I hope I can do this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.