Coming off gabapentin

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have only been taking it for less than 3 weeks and only managed to get to 300mg a day but the side effects are awful. I have now found out what is causing my nerve pain in back and leg ( my L5S1 disc has collapsed trapping nerves) and GP says that I would need a very high dose of gabapentin to ease this nerve pain so I might as well come off it ( waiting to see neurosurgeon).  Today I dropped down to 200mg ( 100mg morning and then I was going to take other one before bed). I would normally have taken another one at 5pm.  This evening I have had a bad headache around my eyes. like shooting pains. I have now taken the second 100mg tablet to see if this stops the pains. 

My Gp said " oh you can just stop taking it after such a short time" but I said I have read it gives back withdrawal if stopped suddenly and he didn't disagree!

So could the headache be withdrawal?

After no advice from GP I was thinking of dropping to 200mg a day for a week then 100mg a day for a week then 100mg every other day until I stop - does this sound good?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on gabepentin also and Napraxen.  I had c-t scan in April and found out my disc in my L5 in gone, I've had back injury in most common thing in our lives! In 2015 n now I've been in most pain since February to today, gabepentin 300mg 2 tablets and 3 is way too strong for me so, I went back to 1 tablet of  300mg ... Back injury is quite abit painful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.