Coming off HRT

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Decided to come off HRT as I feel I have become a bit withdrawn from life ( my partner says I've become ratty and secretive) and I feel I want to go a more natural route for help with hormones.

I have been on Estradiol 1mg for 6 months only, but feel I would rather face the apparently eneviatble further symptoms

now rather than in 5 years time!!

Anyone else out there come off HRT and managed to cope?!!! Thank you ??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Christina

Yes, I came off HRT in april this year having been on it for 10 years with a 2 year break, 2012 - 2014, I started on HRT when I was 52 and am now 64. I couldn't get the Premique low dose I had been on and tried a couple of others which made me bleed so I just thought 'blow it', I'll stop.  I didn't have any ill effects or symptoms when I stopped this year apart from my skin which within weeks started to look old and wrinkly especially on my arms and legs. I have a younger husband so my appearance is very important and I have now gone back on Tibolone/Livial which my GP is happy to prescribe, I feel better and my skin has also improved but the other thing that has made a massive difference to how I feel is taking vitamin B12 sub lingual supplements, I have also had injections to boost my levels which were at 280 when the minimum should be 550 - 1000. Perhaps worth getting your levels checked to see if that's something missing, look up the symptoms of b12 deficiency, you will be staggered. 

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

thats great advice thank you ! I will check B12...

some days it can all be too much of a struggle ...my appearance is very important too as I work in the beauty industry... Im about to go the natural, Ayurvedic route so hopefully that will be supportive and help..

all the best...

• Posted

hi christina.  I didn't go on HRT, was tempted when symptoms were at their worst.  But didn't.  My bad symptoms, one after the other started in June 2015 and I went the natural route, very tough, but glad to say now that most of them have subsided and I think it is the same for those women who joined this site with the same symptoms at the same time last year.  I just took vitamins and watched my diet and took more exercise.  It was not easy for the first 7 months, but slowly I am returning to some normality.  I remember speaking with older ladies (in their late 70s) and they told me that the process takes about a year and a half (I assume they meant the awful heavy symptoms) because I am not out of the woods yet.  But they were right, and they went through it naturally as HRT was probably not available for them as much as it is now.  You will probably still be ratty because of the wild symptoms, but tell your partner that although it seems endless that it will improve.  HRT works for some women because it gets rid of the regular symptoms but not all.  Without it, I found you are forced to take better care of yourself and that has to be a good thing.  good luck.

• Posted

I wonder why you think that coming off HRT will improve life for you.  I doubt if the symptoms you state are related to HRT.  It might be worth exploring with a counsellor.  I've been taking HRT since age 50 and I'm now 66.  In the early days I had to try several types before I found one that suited.  I take Estrofem 1 mg daily and Uterogestan for 12 days each month.  Good luck, don't give up, it's worth it.

Lyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.