Coming off HRT

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi ?? I am 60. Have been on HRT since I was 50. Have tried to wean myself off a few times but with no success due to symptoms returning full on. Had a few bleeds in the last year so after the last one decided to go off it for good. Six weeks in and I'm going mad. Massive joint pains, fatigue, anxiety and dizziness and neuralgia and of course the endless hot flushes. I am going back on it despite the warnings of doctors. I think quality is better than quantity at this stage if my life as I am working as a hairdresser and will have to until age 67. (Insert massive groan and sigh) I've tried sage tablets, natural hormone powders but nothing works like the synthetic hormones. I wish doctors were more honest when prescribing HRT that the menopause is literally on a pause button until you come off it and it starts afresh. I would have tried to go without it from the start if I had known. Would love to hear your stories ladies. 😊

4 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hrt not for every one that is what great re these forum but I have to say don’t struggle and do try different,t combination types,does take time I am expert 18 years on hrt but you must go with you and how you feel it’s not a miracle cure ,like all illness no 2 ppl same how they react to treatment so sympathy’s to all of you, for me a life saver I am a happy positive person most of the time and since menopause it’s been a rollercoaster of emotions and symptoms but I have in past had hrt that agreed with me then it stop working so I am now on the process starting a new one today in actual fact 🙏my symptoms were due to wrong progesterone tiredness low moods sort of and lethargic , consultant said he wouldn’t prescribed the previous one yet sthe one that prescribed was a young registrar who said brilliant results on utrogestan he said different and he also a top hrt consultant so there you go they have different opinion as well , so very confusing 🙄now on 4th type of progesterone today ...good luck to all you lovely menopause ladies go with yourself but these forums can help to decide but it must be you and seeing a good consultant can support you in your decision  and if coming off suits you that brilliant but I need the hormones and finding the right one for me xx

• Posted

I am convinced that when you start hrt you simply cannot stop later! Our body will deteriorate faster after stopping it. Why can’t we have our hormones for life? Just stay on it and go on!  There is no reason to struggle and feel terrible! smile
    • Posted

I couldn't agree more Vicky!! I have done so much research on the menopause and it is widely believed that it is perfectly ok to stay on HRT for life (providing your health is fine)  what I find disconcerting is that GP's from the same Surgery (as in my case) have such widely differing views on HRT.. the GP that told me I HAD to stop just over 2 years ago actually said if I didn't "the men in black would come after him"  whatever the hell that is supposed to mean?? what a strange thing to say!  Thank god I found an understanding GP at long last.

• Posted

Hi ladies 😃 update. My doctor has prescribed Femosten Conti which I started today and not a minute too soon! It is a lower dose than Kliogest and Femosten 2mg but will take it every day and not miss one as this is when I have the breakthrough bleeds. The Kliogest worked the best for me but it was way too costly. Has anyone had relief with this one? I am aching all over just writing this. I am a hairdresser by trade and my levels of tolerance have dropped dramatically in the last few weeks. I don't even want to talk to friends. 😣😥😐

• Posted

yes, been on Fem Conti coming up to 3 months now. Better moods, diminished aches and pains and no hot flushes.It's a much kinder HRT. Had a few bits of spotting but that is perfectly normal.. 

• Posted

Thanks Pat. Hope it kicks in quickly.. I'm going mad lol 😑😉

• Posted

Give it time Jules smile  it takes a couple of weeks. You will feel a LOT better soon I promise you x
  • Posted

This is a good one I felt great on this only reason I stopped patch kept coming off so on tablet better called Angelique the progesterone kinder so be ok good luck may get spotting but you do with conti gove it time the moods better so go with it if you do get spotting not in all cases x
    • Posted

Joanie patches are really the best delivery method in terms of side effect profile. You need much less hormone since they’re transdermal - they bypass digestion and needing to be processed by the liver.

A great way to have patches adhere well is to use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) on the area - wipe it thoroughly with a cotton ball, let it dry a few seconds, then apply the patch. I’ve been using patches for years and this was a game changer. I rarely have a patch lift.  

Whatever you end up staying on, good luck - I only emphasize patches because they’re generally considered preferable/safer, with fewer side effects, etc. I hope you feel better very soon! 

• Posted

Yes I agree patch what I need to be on now and I will go back on them as soon as we get the right balance ,problem is, it is not the not the oestrogen it has been getting the right combination and the correct progesterone so I am on a new hrt with a new type of progesterone which I feel is helping I have to do a diary and if ok after 3 months be back on oestrogen patch and I guess the progesterone be administed in tab form gel implant I don’t know.i have been on patch since aug2017 but all the ones I try with combined progesterone gave me side affects so now I have found this one ,I hope we can finally get the balance right so many to chooose from and also getting what is right for you .

funny enough on tablets I do get slight upset tum but was ok on them for years but I was younger then 🙄

also just had a thought they may do this combination in patch so o see him 20th July he a top menopause hrt consultant along with other gynaecologist  problems .😆😆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.