Coming off low dose Gabapentin after less than 2 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was put on Gabapentin 100mg x 2, 3x daily not quite 2 weeks ago. For the first day I had 100mg at lunch and then 100mg in the evening. The following day, my dose was doubled to 200mg 3x a day. I was on this dose in hospital for 2 days before I was sent home. When I came home I dropped down to 100mg 3x a day because I didn’t like the way they made me feel and it wasn’t doing a whole lot for the pain anyway. That was 8 days ago. Since then I’ve decreased to 100mg twice a day and the last 2 or 3 days I’ve only had 100mg at bedtime. 

Do you think I need to taper off more before stopping? 

At the moment I’m also on augmentin duo forte and since last night after each antibiotic dose I’ve been extremely nauseous and then I’ve had frequent bowel movements today. I’ve attributed those symptoms to the antibiotics because I know it can cause that. But after reading some of the forums it has me worried that it’s the Gabapentin. I’m about to go to bed and I haven’t taken any today at all. But I planned not to take the antibiotics tomorrow to see if that made a difference to my nausea and stomach upset. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

In my honest opinion, if you can live without this drug, then please do so.  Yes, it can mess with your stomach, guts, head, dizzy spells, suddenly falling asleep sitting up, disorientation, foggy mind, loss of memory, nightmares, and a lot of other side effects.  Read the side effects and believe me, they DO happen.
    • Posted

That sounds like Me!  EXActly what happened!  Those aren't even all the side effects I had!  I'm so tired of hearing from Doctors it's a safe effective med!  Sure then why am I going through hell withdrawing off this non addictive med. why am I getting healthier as I'm lowering dosage!  My family notices a huge difference as I can actually speak in a normal conversation and My 20 year old doesn't have to be My care taker. 

• Posted

Hi

i know how you feel Gaba didnt suit me after 10 days but i built up much mor slowly than you.

you need to finish your Augmentin course otherwise youll have worse probs.

Best to speak to GP and not read forums now!

Take care

• Posted

I disagree! Stay informed on every pill you take!  This med can mess you up within 3 doses!  Just read the forums!  It's true!  I went very quickly from 4 regular meds to 22. You do have to withdraw off this med so please stay informed. The GP will say it's a safe and effective med. ask GP how it does for him or her!!! Bet They don't take it!! Mine won't not after he saw what happened to Me and other patients!! 

• Posted

I've managed to come off gabapentin Now since last Friday.i did however open the capsules and remove half for a few days before finally coming off.i have had aches and pains,but worked through it and it's easing Now.good luck on the last bit.as I said I halved the last one for a few days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.