Coming off meds

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, my husband had his first manic episode last year, he is in his late 40's and we have been told it's rare but not impossible to get bipolar at this late age.  

Anyway, he started off on Olanzapine, this made him really sluggish and like an old man, sleeping for around 14 hours and also his limbs started really aching.  We discussed this with his psychiatrist and she said to stay on it but take aripiprazole alongside it and then at some point come off the Olanzapine.  Unfortunatley aripiprazole made him feel like he was jerking/shaking all the time and he just could not settle or get comfortable, it was really horrible for him.   We used to go for long walks but he can hardly walk round the park with our dog without it being too much.  

He has now come off all medication, he thinks his manic episode was a one off, his social workder and psychiatrist know this, they don't seem too concerned that he has just stoppped taking his meds.  He is 3-4 weeks off meds, but he still is really slow and tired all the time.  Does anyone have any experience of this, I can't beleive he is still feeling the side affects.

We have also been told it might take quite a long time before he does have another manic episode, i suppose I am willing to give this a try just to prove to him that he is unwell and that we need to find a medicaiton that works for him.

Sorry for the long message but just wanted to know if anyone else has experience.  

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sue,

I am bipolar 1, rapid cycler. I attend my psychiatrist's appointments once a week and prior to this four months in the hospital for stabilaztion. And since and presently I have regular doctor's visits. I ask many questions and my doctor explains everything. I read a plathora of mental health articles so I can understand my illness and try to not to let my shame takeover.

After a manic eposide, a depressive eposide takes place. Did your husband justify his reasons for not taking his mefication?

Maybe your husband is having a difficult time accepting his mental illness and relating distorted medical information .

I personally know more than a handful of people with mental illness who struggle with their reality and are not med compliant. More men than women tend not to take their meds for their reasons.

Being bipolar myself, I think he is in the depressive epodide followed by the manic.

If it's true the doctor's are saying this, I would request a different doctor and attend the apoointments with him. Bipolar is a permanent mental illness. I manage my sympotoms as best I can with my medication, counseling, and mental health support groups.

Your supportive and caring to share your story. I wish you both well.

• Posted

Hi Sue.

Recent diagnosed bipolar at 49. Over a year of trying mixed meds. And very depressed, crying everyday. My weekly visit to the doc iis going to provide me a work book for cbt rather than try more ect and stick with it. I dont respond well to trestment like your husband. Its horrible. So I am tapering off my meds and will tell my doc next visit that I dont want the drugs. To please pursue ECT treatments with me. I had ten rounds during my treatment in the hospital.

Its not easy, its so frustrating and I really feel for the both of you. Keep me informed of your progress Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.