Coming off Mirt!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm tapering off Mirt and haven't read many (if any) positive stories of anyone doing this. I've successfully come down from 30mg to 15 (30 really didn't suit me) I'm now on 10mg. Am lowering the dose by half each time over two weeks.

Can anyone share SUCCESS stories to keep me positive please?!!

Please no negatives, I've read enough of those already!

Thank you

Kirsty

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kirsty....

Unfortunately there is many horror stories out there about this medication but with mirtazapine that is the normal and I'm sure any one out there who succeeded had to first endure the bad before the goo...

Any ways today is my 3rd month mirtazapine free after been on 30mg for 3 years, I went cold turkey(bad idea) but it wasn't intentionally it just happened, today I feel much better than what I did the first few weeks, I'm still alive and kinda feeling my old self so with that been said I consider my story successful cause I haven't gone back to the pill for a quick fix, I get some sleep every other time, have good and bad days but compared to 3 months ago I'm seeing the light at the end the tunnels, I feel more clear in my head, less anxious and have most of my appetite back...it takes time but I'm more than positive it can be done you just have to be mind strong, a lot of people think because we get depressed and anxious we can't function as human, give yourself time and credit, continue your tapper and just keep going, the longest you take the pill the more it lingers, that's why I kept pushing to finally have the pill out of my system....if you have more questions I'm here to answer anything that might help you. Good luck, and remember I'm 3 months mirtazapine free and only take Pepcid for my stomach issues no other meds like antidepressants or anxiety meds and that to me is a successful story??You can do this!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! It's given me hope! I have to function through no matter what as I'm a single mum, but some of the stories I'm reading have scared the crap out of me! I've been on Mirt 6 months, 30mg for three weeks, but it made me feel awful. Think I'm most nervous about is my anxiety returning ten fold, but sometimes I've felt on Mirt it can feel enhanced anyway, did you ever feel that way?

Thank you for your positive words, I'm determined to get off it, I want to feel like me again, and not a manufactured version

Kirsty x

• Posted

You're very welcome...

I was on it for 3 years some days I took it others I use to skip if I knew I was going out for a drink or so...now that I think about it yes indeed i use to feel spikes on my anxiety but never thought it could be it, the longer you take it the longer and harder will be the withdrawing process so with you only been on it not even a year you have more chances of a speedy process... I have children too so yes we as mother have no choice but to get better and I think that's one of the reasons I made it through, my kids can't cook or take themselves to school so I had no choice but to work hard and make it, you will do fine keep your tapper and once your husband ft of the pill ride those symptoms like the strong mother you are, Kristy trust me it was hell down here on there for me but I'm better today you can do this honey!

• Posted

Lol auto correct put husband in there...
    • Posted

Haha! Yeah the ex husband 😂😂

I'm hoping because I haven't been on it long it won't be as hard to give up. Your story is an inspiration to me and gives me massive hope though 😊

I find Mirt can make me have mood swings too did you ever experience those? Another reason I want to come off them.

They have been a lifesaver to me, but I really just want to get back to me now! And I really do miss having a social drink. I tried a glass of wine and it hit me like a ton of bricks in the morning! Did you feel it was better to not take it if you were going out?

• Posted

Mood swings?? Hell yes, I was a reck some days I was in a good mood others I couldn't see people and I'm usually a peoples person Lol😅🙄

I once had a glass of wine just around the days I first started the pill, I thought I was gonna have a heart attack cause the palpitations were horrible so from that day I was really careful about my nice glass of wine or the few bears I like once in while, just to socialize, but what scared me like crazy is that I'm only 33 and I did noticed my memory was getting bad, I was forgetting a lot and it was very scary😰

• Posted

I've been exactly the same with mood swings, like constants pms!!!! Can't carry on with that haha!

I've noticed that with my memory too, I've never had to write so many things down, and I forget what I've agreed to! Does it get better again?

Kirsty

• Posted

Hey Kirsty just wondering how you are doing??

Sorry I didn't noticed your last reply but yeah it does get better, I'm not forgetting as much and my mood is way better, just dealing with this weird sensation on my tongue well all over my mouth and neck/throat, is like a feeling of burning and change of taste kinda thing just hard to explain, I hope your doing better let me know how things are going??

• Posted

Hi! I'm down to 3.75, it's my fourth day on that. Yesterday was rough between around 9am - midday. I felt wobbly and my head felt so full and fuzzy. Did you ever feel that?

Sometimes I get numb sensations in my mouth followed by a really dry mouth. I'm determined to come off it, but some days are tougher than others.

I was incredibly busy yesterday, so managed to sleep pretty well!

Kirsty x

• Posted

Hello there...

Yes I've felt the same way, still do here and there and omg the mouth symptoms were driving me nuts, at some point at the beginning of my withdrawing I was clenching my mouth even bit my tongue, now I feel the metallic taste, and yes very dry mouth... it gets better when you get hard candy even put a spoonful of honey in your mouth helps...keep going you will succeed, I been to my doctors and they tell me to take 15mg but I'm doing my best not to do so...

• Posted

Hi Kirsty. I can't answer your question, but I'm interested in your experience of going from 15 to 30, why 15 was good for you and what changed going to 30.

Cheers, Ant.

• Posted

Sorry I don't see this. When I went to 30 I felt completely spaced out, like a walking zombie. I'm a single mum to two little ones, and I couldn't get on feeling that way! 30-15 was fine for me.

Hardest drop I've found is going down to 3.75

Kirsty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.