coming off mirt

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, I was on 30mg mirt for 4 months, couldn't handle side effects, doctor told me to half my dosage and start taking 15mg I have been taking that for 3 weeks now, should I be halfing it again doc didn't tell me to, I'm seeing her on Wednesday to be prescribed different anti depressants, should I be off mirt completely, please help 😮😮😮😮

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Since you're seeing the doctor on Wednesday, why not wait and ask her? Everyone is different and you know yourself better than any doctor. You can cut the Mirtazapine into 1/4 ths and continue tapering down. Or, if that's too fast, try taking the 1/2 dose on alternate days (nights?).  It takes as long as it takes.  You didn't mention the side effects you are experiencing on Mirtazapine.
    • Posted

Thank u so much for replying, I have had extreme weight gain, terrible anger, no motivation, don't want to talk to anyone or do anything, just feel on auto pilot all the time, get very agitated when I have to get up, do u have to be completely off mirt to be put on something else, sorry for the rant and that's only the tip of the iceberg of side affects 😱😱😱😱😱
  • Posted

Don't worry about ranting, this med thing can be extremely frustrating - sometimes I wonder how many people just give up rather than go through yet another med change.  As someone who has gone through numberous medication changes over the years it really can be worth riding things out.  There are numerous antidepressants out there, if you are taking it for depression - it's just a matter of finding the right one (or combination of). I was prescribed Mirtazapine primarily to help with sleep.

You are right about the weight gain, if you read through this cite you will find that it is a common complaint.  Some antidepressants appear to cause blunting of emotions and as you so well stated, feel on auto pilot (I just mentioned that feeling to a doctor yesterday), 

I don't remember having to be totally off an antidepressant before switching to another - but there is some period of time involved. If you have the time you might want to ask your pharmasist - they are very well versed in the use of meds.

If you don't mind,  why you are taking the Mirtazpine in the first place? Is it the only medication you're on? I looked up "coming off Mirtzapine" on this site and it appears to have less effects than the others cited. I hope you find support here for your situation, there are a lot of good people.

• Posted

Yeah I'm just on mirtazapine, just for depression, I didn't know it had a sedative in it at the time, I didn't have a problem sleeping, I just got woken up constantly by my kids, I have 3 young children, and I wouldn't wake up through the night whilst taking mirtazapine which was a worry, what else have u been on, I was on citalipram for years but it just ran its course 😱
    • Posted

I just realised my user name is bob, it's actually Karen lol
    • Posted

Over the years I've been on Amitrityline, Prozac (10 yrs),  Efflexor XR , Celexa and Escitalopram (12 yrs. still on).  Five years ago I was diagnosed with Biopolar Disorder so the medications were switched - For BP one has to be careful with antidepressants as it can trigger mania. I'm still on 20 mg of Escitalopram after 12 years, no adverse effects - it's been a good antidepressant for me. I also take Lithium, a mood stablizer, and Mirtazapine (15-30 mg) sleep & antidepressant.

All the antidepressants worked well, with the exception of the EffexorXR which made me very wired, very anxious and manic. With 3 young children it's understandable that you don't want to sleep too solid at night. I'm sure your doctor will find the right antidepressant for you, just keep advocating for yourself. The best to you and your family.

• Posted

I don't think that's something we can decide with or for you. I would wait until WEdnesday and see what your doctor says. What you can do then is slowly taper off mirt and starting with the new antidepressant right away, so that the change wont be too awful.
    • Posted

I totally understand what you mean, it's just trial and error with anti depressants isn't it 😃
  • Posted

Hi

i was on 45 mg, then because of the weight gain, the psychiatrist decided to change it.  The doctor thinks I'm coming off too fast - 3 days on 30, 3 days on 15 mg and then the switchover.  It's been a hellish week and the palpitations and agitation are worse.  I just wish I didn't have to waken up the next day because I get better in the evening, then go to bed and the palpitations and agitation just start again.  I'm on diazepam for the anxiety and a crushed disc in my back and 80 mg Propanolol for anxiety.  Neither are having much effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.