Coming off mirtazapine

Posted , 11 users are following.

I thought I would start a new thread to give people tips for coming off this drug. I have gained so much advice and support from people on here and I owe my (so far) painless withdrawal to them. People like Calmer and Betsy, and plenty others too. I have been on 30mg mirtazapine for four years. I tried to come off them a couple of years ago and failed miserably, returning to my full dose after 10 days of awful anxiety and insomnia, as well as migraines and nausea. I had cut my dose to 15mg for a week and then dropped to zero.

This time I read every thread on here about mirtazapine withdrawal and started off really slowly, cutting down by just 3.75mg for two weeks. Then by a further 3.75 mg. At the same time I started taking a lot of inositol. I take a huge heaped teaspoon in my tea every morning. I had only slight nausea when I first started dropping my dose but I think that was me getting used to the inositol. Once I was down to 22.5mg of mirt, with no withdrawal symptoms, I figured I could go a bit faster and dropped my dose down to 15mg. I had no withdrawal symptoms after ten days and so have now dropped my dose to 11.25mg. I use a simple pill cutter from ebay to cut my tablets. So I am now on three quarters of a 15mg tablet. Mirtazapine had pooped out on me and so I already have terrible insomnia. I take temazepam some nights and benadryl on others to help me with that.

I will post my progress here. Who knows, I may fail miserably, but whatever the outcome, I hope it will help others. I was terrified of coming off mirtazapine, but now I am excited by it. I think the key is to take it really slowly and work out the pace your body can cope with. The smaller your dose goes, thee smaller the decrease in your dose should be. Good luck everyone, and please post your own experiences here. I know some people have really suffered despite coming off mirt very slowly. Everyone is different and I think everyone's experience can be a real help to others.

3 likes, 291 replies

291 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day six on 11.25mg and I awoke without nausea and was easily able to eat my breakfast. Feeling pretty good this morning despite terrible insomnia again last night. I took half a temazepam which didn't work, and was forced to take the other half around 1 am which sent me to sleep within half an hour. I have bought two insomnia books which I will report back on once I have read them. 'The effortless Sleep' and 'Say goodnight to insomnia'. My mother is also a terrible insomniac and she sent me a link to a study which shows that insomnia is most probably a genetic condition and scientists are working on producing a drug which shuts off the problem. Probably not in my lifetime though, unfortunately.

Anyway, back to the mirtazapine. I had a couple of hours around teatime and early evening when I started to feel depressed. This went an hour or so after I took my mirtazapine. Coincidence? Maybe. But I feel fine today. I have not taken my inositol yet as I have to drive an hour each way for my psysiotherapy session, so don't want any gas or diarhea!

• Posted

Day even and still feeling great. I have today and tomorrow on 11.25mg before I reduce to 7.5mg. Obviously, if I get severe withdrawals from that, I will do alternate 11.25 and 7.5mg and see how that goes.
    • Posted

yayyyyyyy sounds like you're still doing well, apart from the sleep.  What about trying the Epsom salt bath before bed ~ all natural, or have you triued the Magnesium supplements before bed, they're supposed to work well, I havn't tried them myself but many have said how good they are.

• Posted

Hi Calmer. Thanks so much for your support. It really means a lot. How are you doing? Are you still on track? You were right about the nausea being a withdrawal, whilst I was thinking I was just returning to my pre-mirt state. It was obviously a withdrawal symptom because it only lasted a coupple of days. I guess that it will startr to get worse as I get closer to the end. I do take magnesium but took one close to bedtime last night. I also had half a temazepam and slept reall well. I don't wwant to rely on the temazepam too much but I find if I don't have one and then am forced to take one in the small hours because I'm still awake, I need twice as much for it to work. I have to get up around 7 am seven days a week, so I don't ever have a lie in. I think that is part of my problem because I am always under pressure to sleep.
    • Posted

Please excuse my typos. My keypad is over sensitive and keeps putting in double letters.
    • Posted

I dropped some Epsom bath salts into my shopping cart yesterday, another little sleep helper, although tbh, by about 9 pm I'm too tired for a bath, but at least Ive got them ready, just in case.

Yes I fully understand "pressure to sleep", responsibility awaits.  You know when you've read the Say Goodnight To Insomnia a few little pieces of the jigsaw of the mindset around sleep attitude will really help you.  Especially the little voice that visits us when we wake halfway through the night around 3-4 am that says "Oh God, I'll never get back to sleep and then I'll be in a state tomorrow" - our negative thinking causes the adrenalin to kick in which in turn keeps us awake.  At times I just take 2 paracetamol and usually I get back to sleep, telling myself "so what ... one bad nights sleep isn't the end of the world" ... my CBT Therapist worked through some of the negative sleep thoughts with me, we talked strategies & he advised me to keep a few flash cards in the bedside drawer and read before bedtime if and when necessary.  And to be honest, since my "episode" last year I have been going to the Buddhist Centre and learnt good meditation, so I try to "block" these negative intrusive thoughts if I can.

If anything, with your insomnia having gone on for many years, maybe a Therapist along these lines might help for you.  Choose from a Professional list mind you, go Private if you can - a good CBT with Mindfulness Therapist will probably have a waiting list of 2 - 3 months maybe, so worth looking in advance if this might be for you.  

I would recommend looking on the B.A.B.C.P. website for a list of accredited professionals if you might be interested.

Hope your day is a good one, wishing you well x

I'm doing OK, I am down to 8.25 mg Mirt (liquid 0.55 ml) tonight so another little drop.  I sleep better at the lower dose, in fact I find it hard to stay awake once I rest on the sofa in the evening - love the sofa!!!

• Posted

Hi Calmer and Evergreen!

Excellent advice as always, Calmer.  Evergreen, I forget it I ever mentioned tapping, AKA Emotional Freedom Techniques, which can be used for insomnia?  Do a search and you'll find lots.  I've had to do a few rounds of it before falling off again.  Another one I just learned about is acupressure points for insomnia/sleep.  There's a video on youtube so if you do a search there for it, enter "Sleep Better Insomnia Acupressure Points"

I think there is much validity to these options, including what Calmer wrote about meditation.  I have found it helpful to meditate and think about body parts, bringing awareness to each part, working you way around the body.  As you do so, you are present and NOT thinking distressing thoughts, including "I hate that I can't sleep!!!"

• Posted

Thank you.  I was on 2.5 mg of zyprexa sine 2014.  He took me off last Thursday COLD TURKEY.  I Started getting sick on Sat.  The nausea and diarrhea was awful.  I was ready to,go to the emergency room.  

This morning I called the Dr.  And he said he didn't think it was the zyprexa, but he did put me on Compazine.  I have only taken two pills so I don't know how it will work

i have never been so sick in my life.  I can barely get dressed.  I wouldn't have known the reason if a good friend of mine referred me to the Internet.

i am hoping these pills help a little.  Never again on this drug!!

• Posted

Oh Darling, that is horrific what your doctor has done to you!!  Never ever should psych drugs be gone off of COLD TURKEY!  Once in a great while someone will tell you they were able to successfully, no problem, but they extremely lucky and very rare.  You are in severe withdrawal, and no other drug will fix that!  Your doctor doesn't know what the heck he is doing!  You should look for another doctor!  Do you have any Zyprexa left? Stop taking the other drug and tomorrow take your last dosage of Zyprexa.  

From the drug interaction checker for Zyprexa and Compazine,  I found this:

Interactions Moderate:

Using prochlorperazine together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as drowsiness, blurred vision, dry mouth, heat intolerance, flushing, decreased sweating, difficulty urinating, abdominal cramping, constipation, rapid heart beats, confusion, and memory problems. Side effects may be more likely to occur in the elderly or those with a debilitating condition. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

If you have taken a Comp today, don't take Zyprexa until tomorrow and don't take the Comp tomorrow.  

You must taper off of the Zyprexa much more slowly.  For information on how to do so, I put together this post, which really pertains to all psych meds.  I would suggest you go to the support forum SA and do a search for Zyprexa to see who else on there is dealing with coming off of it.  You can create an info and get extremely knowledgeable help with how to get off. Most doctors have no idea how to get people off these drugs safely and sanely!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/venlafaxine-withdrawal-please-help--35826?page=0#1834334

• Posted

Excellent advice from Betsy here, Judy. What an incompetent doctor you have. I hope you manage to get it sorted soon. Cold turkey is pure hell for most people and can be dangerous too. PLease get back on the Zyprexa. I would take a proportion of the amount you were on, perhaps 2mg and then get stable on that before reducing again.
    • Posted

Thanks Betsy.  Believe it or not, I feel better today.  We'll see how I sleep tonight.  I was able to keep some food and drink down.  Maybe things are starting to look up.  I'll keep you posted.
    • Posted

Thanks, evergreen.  I do feel,better today.  We'll see what happens when I hit the sack tonight and get up in the morning.  I see thisDr. On Monday.  

Boy, he is going to get an earful!!

• Posted

Day ten on 11.25mg. Tomorrow Idrop it down to 7.5mg. I had miscalculated and thought ten days was Thursday. So tempting to drop it tonight, but I must stick to my ten days taper. Mustn't ruin things now. I slept very badly last night and needed a whole temazepam, sadly. But one thing at a time. Get off the mirt and then tackle the temazepam.
    • Posted

Good for you to stick to your plan!  If you continue to have bad sleep, you might want to postpone the next cut, just sayin'.  They say you should only cut when you feel totally stable, and I'd put sleep quality into that category :-)  I'm cheering for you, though!  I can't wait to get off this stuff!  One drug at a time, though.  You go, girl!
    • Posted

You're doing great Evergreen, that temptation visits us all, you're so right to stick to plan, especially after a real bad nights sleep.  My plan is double checked nowadays by my husband ~ we're in it together haha ... wish I could sleep like he can !!

7.5 is a great place to be, you've tumbled down quite quickly - long may it last !  

Wishing you well, as always 

• Posted

The thing is, my sleep had totally gone on my full dose of mirt, so I don't think dropping it further can make it any worse. So me being stable on vmy dose cannot include sleep, because it doesn't help me sleep in any case, on any dose. sad
    • Posted

Thank you, Calmer. Glad your husband is being so supportive. I hope your next drop goes well for you!
    • Posted

I forgot, sorry!  I hope the next cut goes uneventfully!  I really encourage you to get liquid mirt if you can, or get a scale and start weighing if you aren't already.  Reason being is, I'm on the SA forum and there is a fellow on there who did a cut from 6.5 to 5.5 mg (about a 15% cut) and he got really bad WD so updosed back to 6.5 mg but has not stabilized after three months! He is total despair.   So, the low end of mirt is really tricky, and the moral of the story is that it is much better to take it painstakingly slow than to think if it goes bad you can just updose again; sometimes updosing just doesn't work.

Just food for thought.  I want all of us to successfully get off this stuff without suffering!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.