Coming off mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all

Like a lot of you I was prescribed mirtazapine for my insomnia and wow was it effective.

However I've never been too keen on being medicated for too long, and thought I was improving my mental health through regular psychotherapy, with the doctor who would prescribe me the mirt.

I also didn't like how the drug made me drowsy and I think dampened my thinking just subtlety, but enough to feel like I wasn't my true self, even though my true self would sometimes consist of anxiety and depression.

Admittedly the drowsiness did subside over time (I've been on mirt for 11 months), but I really wanted to try ridding it of my system, to see how I would go without it, and with my own natural body rhythms to guide me and to work with.

So, after first attempting to come off 15mg with a short 2 week tapering I felt like I was going to explode basically. I tried to sit it out but only lasted 2 days of this hell before popping one back in the system. To instant relief!

So, I had a new respect for this stuff and vowed to stay on it for the time being.

That was a couple months ago. Now here I am again. A lot slower tapering but at the cusp I think of pushing ahead or going back on the low dose.

I write this late at night. Can't see myself sleeping anytime soon but not sure how I'll go. One thing I do like is having that clarity back. However I realise the lack of sleep is a problem.

I might try getting some melatonin. Has anyone tried CBD (hemp) oil and had success for insomnia?

Appreciate you taking the time to read this

DB

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well after reading some more experiences with successful fellow withdrawers, I decided to take a tiny dose, to see if it will help me sleep tonight. Then I will try skipping tomorrow and taking tiny doses every other day or every 3 days if I can cope. And see how I go from there...

• Posted

Join our mirtazapine withdrawal support group if you like.

Find Jo Merrian on fb and send friend request.

• Posted

Hi DB,

You need to taper very slowly. As you have discovered, it is quite difficult to come off and does cause a number of withdrawals. I tapered over 3 months (which some people say is still too fast!), and I'm off for 2 months now. CBD oil helped me massively with the anxiety and insomnia. I'm also taking montmorrency cherry supplements which contain natural melatonin, not sure how much they are actually helping though. Also, a lot of people swear by magnesium supplements.

Hope this helps.

RP

• Posted

Great, thanks Robbie

Appreciate your reply.

Yeah I was on 3.75mg for about a month and was feeling fine, so I thought well I might as well try this. I know it's not a long time, but it almost makes me more anxious to consider going back on it. I am wondering whether to have a small dose tonight, or just soldier on without. I got some melatonin spray yesterday, and I do have some CBD oil. I wonder if I should use both at once?

How are you now, Robbie? Are you back to stable or still affected slightly?

• Posted

Honestly I have said this to many on this site, just get some GABA, GABA. best form is the pharmaceutical variety, just add a teaspoon to some milk, heat in microwave or some other method. You may feel a little strange for a few moments only last for the first few doses. You will have a much better sleep and when you take it for a few weeks, you will feel like getting up in the morning. Who wants to feel jet lagged all the time? They say these drugs are not addictive if you were selling street pills you would be sent to clink for 20 years. Finally a friend of mine could not sleep for 35 years on a cocktail of meds, I gave her a weeks supply of GABA rang me two days later and requested I order some for her. All I can say is if this does not work, you will not go through years of tapering off as you do with any anti-depressant. I also would suggest in any search engine type in Natural ways to cure anxiety - depression even You Tube as good as medications are, they are only a band aid and let us be honest if you were making billions from sick citizens, you would do everything in your power to prevent losing your power. A very good example is MSM, DSMO used for many ailments watch the 60 minutes videos on You Tube. I fully understand some will think this is utter crap, as some think climate change is bull s**t as well. I am not knocking science, but sadly if they cannot make money out of it, it is denigrated. They say we live longer thanks to science this I not not deny, but we appear to spend the last 3 - 4 decades in various degrees of DECAY. If you find this helpful please forward.

Bill

• Posted

Hi Bill

Thanks for your reply. Yes I will definitely look into GABA! Can I ask have you come off Mirtazapine and how are you doing now? Also how long did it take? Sorry it's the question everyone probably asks!

I agree about pharma and especially regarding mental health. I was under the impression that this drug was 'mild' and excellent regarding side effects. But coming off is another story!

Yeah I'm still young(ish) at 41. I have a whole new perspective on life now, largely thanks to this experience! I just hope I can get my faculties back. Of course I'm also aware of the reason I got on the drug in the first place, and it was because of mental health issues. But I now realise that there was/is a lot I can do for myself to deal with it all.

• Posted

Hi Dee,

I think many people do not understand what a life changing event depression is, you most certainly know who are you real friends during this period. I started Gaba when I found the 'drug' not performing anymore, I was getting swollen ankles and aching lower legs. After about a week I decided to stop taking 'M', I appeared to feel OK and after that no more 'M' I would look up Amino Acids they are the building blocks of health. When I was really, really ill, I took Tyrosine within seconds I could feel it giving me a lift. Many doctors slam patients swallowing vitamin pills, amino acids and they say, "No need, you get it from your food" Are they kidding? Perhaps before WW2 how many grow their own now? As I said in earlier posts it is all about doing your own research sadly with depression easier said than done, I was in that very dark place for over four tortuous years and at times thought will this ever end, sadly the journey back to recovery is a slow and painful path but worth the experience. I found reading recovering from depression, anxiety and a mix of those words plenty on the web it appears men do not get depression as it is mostly aimed towards women. I found a very good site and if I can locate it, will post the details.

Best wishes,

Bill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.