Coming off Mirtazapine cold turkey

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Just wanted to give some positives.  I decided to stop taking Mirtazapine 45mg on Saturday due to some really bad thoughts and thinking that I just cant carry on like I was.  Anyway I feel great, normal again and like my brain is my own again and I know that coming off this drug is a bit hit and miss for a lot of people but I can honestly say I've not felt better for months.  I'm still on venlafaxine and beta blockers so I've got something in my system to help with the depression and anxiety but planning to get off them asap too. I feel like I've been poisoned and maybe I just had a adverse effect to this drug.  I've had no side effects from withdrawal as yet so hears hoping.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Id be interested to know if you carry on feeling fine as i know it can take a couple of weeks for withdrawals to hit.

I am also on 45 and plan to start reducing soon. I wld live to just stop but im too scared.

• Posted

I said I'd keep you updated.  Well sadly feel poor today, depression, bad thoughts, anxiety, feel like someone is constantly pressing on my skull, shaky and got to pull myself together, act normal and go to work in a bit! I still feel less zombiefied though so that is good. On top of this, as I felt great earlier and completely better, I decided (in my wisdom!) to self discharge from CMHT (I'm not even through the assessment process yet), so feel completely on my own now too. Sometimes I amaze myself at the situations I get myself in to.

• Posted

Another update. Over a week without mirt. Still feel less like a zombie and more alive again so that's a big positive but one minute I boiling hot then next I physically shivering, headachy and stupid bad thoughts are still rolling in regularly. Oh and I don't sleep again but thinking that I rather not sleep than take this s**t again as quite liking feeling alive even though knackered.

• Posted

This is going to be tough but sounds like you are staying positive and doing it for your own reason. Keep focused on that goal of not feeling like a zombie and being alive.

Most people wouldn't do it in one go like this but I hope you get through it.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind support.  Seen the CPN today (after having to apologise for messing them around last week!) she tried to talk me into taking Mirt again and seeing the Crisis team. No thanks to either, so compromise was having to see pysch drs instead for med review. Explained that I dont want anymore anti depressants or anything, would actually like to be left alone to get over this myself but its pretty hard to get off this ride once you're on it I'm finding! Any tips anyone?

• Posted

I've been in a similar situation before. I've been on and off medication for 8 years, all sorts! I'm currently having mirtrazipine withdrawals which is how I stumbled here. I know how it feels to want to be in control of your mind and life. Whenever I'm not on medication, I exercise a lot, keep myself busy with work, eat way healthier, and try to keep myself socially active so I don't go into isolation mode. Be blessed and good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words of support Andrea.  Another update: after seeing psych dr sort of forced to go back on Mirtazapine, otherwise they are going to give me anti psychotics, which funnily enough I'm not that keen on taking! Anyway started taking Mirt and I turn into a zombie again with no thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc, did start sleeping again though and so I started taking 30mg every 4 days as then I start to feel vaguely human again when it starts to runs out but sadly this human feeling is also accompanied by depression, anxiety and violent thoughts towards myself.  So last night I took 22.5mg after 3 days to try reduce the horror but maintain the some sense of normality (only I cant really remember what normal is anymore!) Dont want to imagine what the CPN and psych dr are going to say about my regime but I'm ready for battle! You sound like you are keeping very positive and strong coming off Mirt and I hope you do better than me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.