coming off mirtrazapine slowly as worried about long term use

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on mirtrazapine for 6 months.  Helped me loads.  I went on it due to death of both parents in a matter of months, It helped me eat and sleep.  Weight issue is not a problem as I just could not eat.  Had no appetite.  Anyway trying to come off it slowly.  I'm now on 3/4 of tablet and taking pregablin to help anxiety.  Should I do a drop each month.  This is my first drop to 3/4 of tablet and after a week I feel ok, I am worried about taking this med long term.  Read it can affect your liver levels. and cholesterol.  Anybody had this? That's all that is stopping me from taking this as otherwise its made me, me. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tempest , ive been on 60mg Mirtazapine for bout 7yrs i cut back to 30mg afew months ago i also came off Zyprexa Wafers 11wks ago an are still having sum Withdrawal Symptoms from it.. As far as Mirtazapine goes im not sure if any of my current Withdrawal symptoms are related to it or not. I had some Liver an Cholesterol issues whilst on 60mg Mirtazipine but they have since improved while on 30mg. I just reduced 60mg to 30mg over night but I'd advise you to tapper slowly and im sure you'll be fine. Don't know if I've been of any help but take care and best of luck for the future.. Lloyd from Oz

• Posted

What dose? They make many tablets with different doses.  Saying you take 3/4 of a tablet does not provide enough information.  I recently weened off Mirtazapine.  I was on a low dose for similar issues as you; I was having difficulty sleeping and eating and had lost a lot of weight (40+ lbs) in 1.5 monthI had a negative experience with mirtazapine.  I had a lot of side effects, including restless leg, twitching, totally unproductive during the day, extreme nausea in the morning (among other things).  The drug made me feel like hell, although it did increase my appetite and I slept a little more (but not much).  Get a pill cutter and cut the dose before discontinuing.  There are many posts on the Mirt forum that cover this information.  Do a search for mitrazapine withdrawal.  You will find that the longer you are on this drug, the harder it is to get off it due to withdrawal symptoms.  Nasty drug IMO. So happy to be off it.  Best of luck to you.

• Posted

hi john,

I got the pill cutter and split it up into quarters. I take three of them. how long did it take to get off it?.  I feel great on it but keep thinking what its doing to my body, ive been on 3/4 for two weeks. I hope to do another drop in say 2/3 weeks to maybe a half. then cut again to 1/4  four weeks after that if I'm ok. I would be grateful if you could tell me how u did it.

• Posted

I think you’re going about it the right way.  Some people will say you should not reduce by more than 10% at a time but if you have only been on the drug for a short period of time it shouldn’t be an issue.  Continue to cut back 3/4 then1/2 then 1/4 then 1/8.  You should stay on each one for at least one week, preferably 2 weeks.  When you finally discontinue expect some withdrawal symptoms after about 3-4 days.  You may experience some brain zaps or twitching.  This should subside in about a week.  Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.