coming off mirtz

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi im on my 2nd night of cutting from 30mg to 25mg..slept ok but vivid dreams! sacery! should i cut back any more and unsure how to wean my self off these..any advice please! thanks . julie

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie,

i had problems with this medication...started feeling suicidal and constant crying. However,i took good advice from this site and went to see my GP. I'm now taking a different antidepressant.. I strongly advise you to see a doctor as these meds are pretty nasty and have horrid withdrawal effects.

• Posted

hi aly,

I am taking all the help i can from this site. thank you for replying , i have an appointment with my doctor next week earlies they could see! i need off these drugs suffered enough i hope the doctors will understand and give me something more suited to me! they will ask why i havent said anything before but ive just got on with it because i liked the sleeping effect they have given me! everything i do i end up with headaches! i need something to pick me up not drag me down...i will keep taking a small dose till i see them and hope they can give me something to ease these feelings i having..thank you for replying 

• Posted

Hi,

I wouldnt cut back too quickly. I did it over a period of several weeks but I was on a lower dose, however, although Ive been off them for a few weeks Im still getting quite strange and vivid dreams but they,ll go in time Im sure. Be patient and take your time and if you,re worried see your GP.

• Posted

hi zoobyzoo.

Thank you for your message, how did u cut down .ive dropped down by 5mg ..from 30mg to 25mg the last two nights! i dont know if i should drop down more..ill take what ever it takes to get these out of my sytem..i dont trust doctors very much ..they hand out these drugs and its wrong! im seeing them next week ..scared of what they will give me 

• Posted

I was only taking 15mg but cut down by half for a couple of weeks and then a quarter for a couple of weeks. Give yourself at least a week inbetween drops, take your time. I dont like these drugs either, my doctor said you dont get dependant on them but I disagree, my friend has been on them for 20 years..shocking. I found that all my emotions were dulled down but now I feel normality coming back. By the way, the Doc should be able to give you a Mirt syrup so you can get your reduction accurate especially when you get down to small amounts.
    • Posted

hi zoobyzoo.

I will ask the GP about the syrup..ive just broke the 30mg tablet. i will need something to ease this feeling...i feel edgey and only took 5mg off the 30mg in two nights..just feel like i want to sleep..thank you 

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I successfully came off mirt by going from 30mg to 15mg for a month then to 7.5mg for another month then zero, however I asked my dr for some benzodiazepams to combat the withdrawal

Good luck 

Kenny 

• Posted

hi kennybhoy,

Thanks for ur message, did they give you benzodiazepram while you was with drawing from mirtz ? how was the side effects with this AD ..julie

• Posted

Hi Julie I was actually on the benzo's just before I decided to come off mirt, and for the record mirt saved my life completely and I loved it, the only reason I quit it was because of the huge weight gain I put on, otherwise I'd still be on it,

I basically didn't have any side affects because I was on the benzo's which also saved me,

Kenny 

• Posted

hi kenny! just goes to show you how it can work for one and not others! glad it saved you! i will enquire about benzo. cheers kenny.....julie 
  • Posted

Dear Julie,  I have been on mirtazapine 15 mg. for a few months.  I sleep well although I also have vivid dreams. This is not unusual for me as I have  been on a blood pressure medication which also causes vivid dreams - but definitely not nightmares. It takes awahile to see the benefits of any antidepressant.  I have briefly tried Wellbutrin and  Escitalopram (both low doses)The Wellbutrin caused insomnia and escitalopram made me physically ill.  Many people like mirtazapin better than other mdeications.  A dear friend said it saved her life.  But each person is different and reacts differently.  Some  people complain of weight gain and constant hunger.  I have experienced neither of these effects. I do feel sleepy during the day, however.   Stopping any antidepressant without weaning oneself off has nasty consequences.  You feel like you have the flu.  Definitely see your doctor as others have advised.like you.  Good luck Julie.
    • Posted

hi vickycam,

Hello im happy they suit you .the thought of sucide was the last step for me to get off mirtz.. i feel i have no motivation to do anything and the head aches are awfull . i am depressed tho other reasons and feeling like this isnt helping it..they dont suit my personalty i think this is why they dont suit everyone ...i feel i need something to lift me up not make me feel like a zombie..i think GPs should look at the personalty of people before handing them out ..the vivid dreams are awfull it was even in colour. thank you for the advise and good to know these have helped others ..julie

• Posted

A few years ago I had a little bit of depression and bought some 5HTP from Holland and Barrett and it lifted my mood really well, if I do start to get some depression again I,ll nip it in the bud early with that again. I left it too long this time and had to be given Mirt but now Im off them Im not going back smile
    • Posted

hi zoobyzoo,

Thank you for your message! thats just lifted me ..thats a success i can do it..i have noted that down..thank you again   julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.