Coming off of Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffer with anxiety, chronic migraines and mild OCD. I was put on Cit for my anxiety as it was getting out of hand about a year ago. All was fine and I was on a dosage of 20mg. I have gained weight, and I have lost some sex drive which is pretty sh*te if I am honest as I have worked hard to lose weight in the past and the sex drive bit is horrid. But I stayed on them as they were helping. I also take topirimate for my migraines (which are meant to make you lose weight but cit cancels that out) anyway, a few weeks ago I had about 4 weeks of panic attacks. A full melt down of anxiety. Convinced myself my partner was cheating, my kids were going to die, I was going to die, every bad thought I could have I did. I overplayed each of these thoughts till I panicked to the point of collapsing. I knew something had to change or else I would lose everything. So, with discouragement of my partner we went to the doctors, although that took me 2 weeks to build up the nerve. He prescribed me propranolol 40mg to be taken twice a day and told me I needed to speak to someone. I finally admitted I have attachment issues. A huge step for me. My mother died of cancer and my dad disowned when I was a child. I felt abandoned. Never admitted it before, but it made me feel better. I went away with these new tablets and a phone number to call. 

I decided to research the tablets, and they have side effects of weight gain. No way was I going to take them. You can take them as and when you need them if you get into a panic, which is what I am going to do, but I am NOT going to take them daily I am not going to gain weight, and then this got me thinking about my 20lb weight gain over cit and the more it made me focus. I don't need these tablets. They didn't work for me when I had my meltdown. I can do this. I feel so positive for the first time in ages. I miss me. I have become so complacent these days. I can't be arsed to do anything. I think that is down to the tablets. I want me back. I like being busy. I don't like doing nothing. So as of today, I am on 10mg of cit. I halved my tablet and I am coming off of them. I have not told my doctor. I am going to do this myself. I have told my partner. I will go to counselling. I do still need help dealing with my issues but I don't need to be carried along with tablets. I just want myself back. 

I have read about the withdrawals and I am not looking forward to them, but only time will tell. Maybe I might escape them. But I think I will kinda use this as a diary of how I am getting on. 

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Cooda, how are you doing?
    • Posted

I am doing well. I am a bit moody but then I think I am always a bit moody with or without tablets, no more fuzzy heads, I think I got off lightly with withdrawel symptoms, but mostly as I take other tablets. Topirimate for my migraines I think has helped loads. So I am lucky. No panick attacks at all. I will always have a certain edge, and always be that way and I know I will probably have a crash and I know I am not recovered, but for now I am happy. I have joined a gym, and I have loads more energy. I want to focus energy that way. Partner and I argue a bit and it annoys me he tries to blame everything on my anxiety, he uses it as an excuse for his behaviour but I let it go in one ear and out of the other. I won't rise to it. he's a man. xx
    • Posted

That's wonderful news!  So glad you're doing ok!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.