Coming off of Diazepam

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am just about to start a regime of coming off of Diazepam after 5 years of being on it.(I have been here before so I know it is going to be for me a long balttle with the addictive side of the drug)

I am also on other meds such as Amitriptyline, Propanolol, Aripirazol but also Morphine patches (as I have a physical disability too).. I am under no illusion that this is going to talke time... Just needed some support to do it.

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes of course we will support you! 

First may we ask where you are based?

were you on benzodiazepines before the other meds?

why were all prescribed and in what order also why?

best wishes

• Posted

I am living in the Dumfries area in Scotland.

I was first put on Diazepam the first time I went into hospital, but was on anti-depressants before they put me on the diazepam.

Since then I was diagnosed with bipolar so am on lots of medication, but trying to come off the diazapam coz I feel I cannot stay on it as there is nothing to help me if I have a short term breaK, but i am scared too.

• Posted

What is your disability eg neuropathy

What was the very first drug you were on and why?

• Posted

I have multiple disabilities.  I have Bipolar, M.E, a lot of tendonitis and arthritic knees.  But 

he very first medication I was given was Amitrityline. This was to help my mood and my physical pain (this was in 1990).  Things have got worse as I have got older and I am just waiting to get my tendon problems sorted (as I may have to have an operation).  I am on so many drugs now I sometimes lose count.

Lamotrogine

Aripirazol

Amitriptyline

Propanolol

Naproxen

Morphoine patches

oh yea and the dreaded Diazepam!

• Posted

Go for it, I have been off diazepam for nearly a year. You can do it.

Stay focused, your mind will become clearer and you won't have a,sedated foggy mind

Best,wishes, keep in touch x Linda

• Posted

Thanks you Linda.  I will need all the help I can get.  All I can say is thanks for being there
  • Posted

Absolutely! I am in the same situation. You have my support. We have to take it, sometimes, 1 minute at a time.
    • Posted

Yes it's baby steps for me to come off of it.. no doing things too fast!
    • Posted

You can only come off one drug at a time. Which drug would you say you would prioritise. As some of these drugs interact you would have to decide. I'm surprised you are prescribed morphine with diazepam also aripiiprazole. When and why was that prescribed, was it before or after the diazepam?
    • Posted

I intend to only come off of Diazepam, that is all. They were all prescribed by my doctors.
    • Posted

I will talk to someone else first as to concerns of aripiiprazole lowering the seizure threshold

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.