coming off olanzapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I have posted a comment a few years ago,but i'am now fully in the midst of coming off olanzapine ...

I have been on this drug for over 11 years,in the last 6 months i have reduced myself from 15mg to 10mg using 2.5mg intervals every 3 months ...

I suffer with eustachian tube dysfunction and i'am unable to breathe through my nose,my pyschiatrist & the doctors seem to think the olanzapine is causing this problem,leaving me with no choice but to come off this drug completely ...

From next week i'am on a program where by i will be reducing the olanzapine by 2.5mg per week over 4 weeks whilst tapering on a new anti pyscotic called Aripiprazole along with diazepam for the first week

I'am quite unsure about how my body & mind will adjust to the change after 11 years of been on olanzapine & i'am hoping it sorts out the problem with my nose & ears ...

I have been told that Arirpiprazole contains no histaminergic symptoms which alot of anti pyscotic drugs contain,which the doctors believe is causing my problems ...

Anyway,the question i have to ask is ...

Can anyone give me any advice in regards to sleeping/supplements or any general advice in what to expect coming off olanzapine?

Thanks

bonna

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bonna,

I have been on it for 11 years as well. The last 4 years I have gone from 10mg right down to .625mg. About 3 months ago I switched from taking it at 6pm to 7am. At the time I was still on 2.5mg. Within those last 3 months I have dropped down to .625mg pretty much when I need it. By that I mean somedays I do not even take it anymore. If I feel a bit "loose" in the mind I take some (.625mg) Since taking it in the morning I have not missed a nights sleep and I wake feeling much more refreshed. Actually, now when I do take the small amount in the morning I can really feel the effects of the drug. What I mean by that is my mood changes and I become quite dark. This actaully has given me insight into the need to get off it. The counter to that is that when I have not taken it for a few days I start to notice heightened euphoria. This is the sign to take a smalll dose. These episodes are slowly getting wider and wider apart meaning I can go longer without having any. Anyway, the point of my reply is...since changing from night to day everything has become easier and I have dropped down very quickly with virtually no issues.

My advice from my psych before doig this was "just have the meds on you if you need them"

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hello Bonna,

I have been on Olanzapine for the same amount of time if not longer. When my first psychiatrist reired she referred me to a young psychiatrist who knew little about the side effects of Olanzapine. And get this... when I told him about my sleep disturbances he dobled my dose of Olanzapine. What a fool. My sleep patern got worse. I ended up staying up all night long sometimes. I also felt zombied out the next day. I also developed Diabetes because of the high dose of Olanzapine (at the time my blood sugar level had spiked to 25). After doing a lot of research, I aproached him about the side effects. He agreed to slowly reduce my dosage, but by only 1/4 mg. per month. I noticed slightly fewer side effects already but I still have trouble getting to sleep at a decent hour. My Diabetes is manageable now. I can't wait to get off Olanzapine complletely. I still lack motivation the next day. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Keep me informed on your progress. Your level of reduction is far greater than mine. Believe it or not I'm still on a total of 23.75 mg./day of Olanzapine.

• Posted

mjm,

read my post to bonna about changing to day meds instead of nights...might help you.

Colin

• Posted

Hi @mjmdesk, just wondering how you reduced by 0.250mg? Did you crush your tablets?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.