Coming off Olanzapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 18 and I was given Olanzapine after declining SSRIs as I needed instant relief from an anxiety episode, I've only been on Olanzapine for 17 days and I want to stop before any of the permanent effects I've been reading up on occur. Does anybody have any knowledge on how I would go about tapering down and/or know if 17 days is long enough for the effects to be permanent, I'm experiencing hellish short-term memory loss although the olanzapine did serve its purpose

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe , im still struggling with Withdrawals from Zyprexa. I was on 15mg Wafers for 5yrs and tappered down over a 6-8wk period and im into my 10th wk off this terrible drug. Im not sure what dose you are on but i think for the short period of time you've been on it you should hava good chance of getting away with very minimal Withdrawals. However would be wise to tapper down slowly. A pill cutter can help you break tablets into halves or quarters etc. Good luck mate hope all goes well. Lloyd from Oz

• Posted

HI

Honestly that drug Olanzapine should be banned going from my own hell experience coming off it after a year and hearing so many hell stories from others!

It causes so many other problems!

It really makes me angry!

You should be fine having been only on it for such a short time but taper off very very slowly!

• Posted

I am tapering 10% with monthly intervals.Read survivingantidepressants org for help
  • Posted

HI

Very wise! Definitely the way to go! :-)

Very very slowly!

I went cold turkey and it through my mind and body into chaos!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.