Coming off Paroxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’d been on 20mg Paxil for a year. I had a hell year with changes at work but Paxil made it bearable. That bad patch is over now and as my libido suffered which is very unlike me so I decided to withdraw for the sake of my marriage. I’m in my 6th week. For the first 3-4 weeks I was getting strange brain zaps almost every time I moved my head, the odd mood swing and some dizzyness. I also burst in to tears for the first time in a very long time watching a sad movie, much to the kids amusement... and then concern LOL…. Thankfully my wife understands the mood swings and I’m coping with the rest by eating healthily and going to the gym (something I used to do regularly but ceased when I started on Paxil for some reason.) I didn't realise until I stopped that it was dominating me and making me less passionate about the things I love. My doctor has prescribed me with Zoloft but I've decided to have a break and see how I go. Good luck everyone.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi ian

i was on seroxat for 14 years for depression I then wanted to give up smoking and my GP wouldn't put me on the tablets to stop smoking due to being on 30mg of seroxat. So what did I do, I just stopped taking my seroxat. It's been 4 weeks and the only problems I'm having is sweating loads, tearful at times and a bit moody. I won't go back on them and I'm hoping things will improve. I'd never tell my patients to just stop taking them. 

• Posted

Aww good luck ???? Did you stop cold turkey or ween yourself first? It's a hard one to come off of, that's for sure. Kudos to you!

• Posted

Hi Laura

I went cold turkey. It was awful , tears+++++ sweats witch made the menapause look easy!.

But i think I'm through it now as week 6 has been great, no withdrawals this week.

Feeling good after 13 years and 30mg , I'm good

Julie xx

• Posted

Well done Ian!. I'm at the end of withdrawal week 6 and I'm just feeling good . I had fantastic support from my husband and kids. The tears were awful and moods. The sweating was bad, but Monday starts week 7 and I think I'm over the worse. Going cold turkey after 13 years was not a good thing to Reccomend to anyone, but now looking back I'm so glad I did it!.

Good luck to you!

Julie X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.