Coming off Propafenone...anyone have any withdrawal symptoms?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm stopping Propafenone as my GP thinks it's causing me some gastro problems. I've been on it for some years, but the gastro issues are pretty horrible and not settling, so...

Anyhow I just wondered if anyone else has stopped it and if so whether you had any adverse symptoms. 

I've felt a bit 'dizzyish' today and somewhat anxious, but not sure if that's just because I've been a bit hectic or not. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

What kind of gastro problems were you having 
    • Posted

Indigestion, heartburn, abdo pain. 

I do have a hiatus hernia, but nothing has changed there. I've had endoscopy, nasendoscopy, scan, ct scan and seen an oral surgeon! 

Felling much better now, but palpitations are a little worse, but that could just be anxiety

• Posted

I had almost every bad side affect possible -- indigestion and heartburn --  felt like there was a lump in my throat all the time.

I can't remember the all negative side affects I had, but when I look at the write-up on propafenone, I had almost every one of them. 

• Posted

Sounds so like me! But I've been on it for around 10 years and this is really the first problem I've had on it. Heartburn, and indigestion have been the worst things, though I have had a lump in my throat. As I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia I thought it was just GORD, but maybe not. 

What do you take as an alternative? If anything. 

• Posted

i've been on it for about 6 years, although I had more problems with flutter and etopic or extra beats than afib. i have changed my lifestyle and now it seems it is causing me to have a slow heart rate, dizziness, fatigue. I'm gonna just stop and try it out. i have been taking 225 mg once a day even though the Rx is twice a day which I cannot handle, cannot even walk if I take 2. Has anybody just stopped? I haven't been in afib since I was diagnosed about 6 years ago and had to be cardioverted. Thanks

• Posted

It sedates your heart so everything I have read tells you NOT to come off it cold turkey even though I had to. That scares me to death but I had no choice. I can tell the difference (day 4) and hope it won't cause me major problems.

• Posted

I had to stop my propafenone cold turkey because it locked up my bowels in a major way....not worth it. This was day 4 since I stopped it. Had one short episode of afib so far...like a few seconds. I hope that will be all.

• Posted

has anyone experienced emotional issues while tapering off rythmol? I have been tapering off for 8 days and took last dose today extremely emotional, heart is doing well I had ablation 3 months ago

• Posted

I was wondering about the ablation. Was it bad having it done? Have you continued with good results from it? I have been on that Med for 3 mos now and have had every side effect listed. I tried stopping it but after missing the 3rd dose I went back into Afib so started taking it again with all the side effects right back. So I am considering the ablation, but I am kind of scared. 68 and have had only one surgery in my life for gallbladder. I would appreciate any info. Thank you 

• Posted

I was wondering about the ablation. Was it bad having it done? Have you continued with good results from it? I have been on that Med for 3 mos now and have had every side effect listed. I tried stopping it but after missing the 3rd dose I went back into Afib so started taking it again with all the side effects right back. So I am considering the ablation, but I am kind of scared. 68 and have had only one surgery in my life for gallbladder. I would appreciate any info. Thank you 

• Posted

I have been on propafenone for a few years now for something other than AFIB. With that said it greatly reduced the issues I was having with my heart but I do get this slow heavy pounding heart beat. Only thing I can think of is that its from the medication as my doctors cant seem to figure out why im feeling my heart pound in my chest, stomach and back areas. My resting rate is in the 50s but you can literally see my pulse in my gut etc. I have had echo's done to check my aorta and all are good. So just having to learn to live with it.

As for the ablation surgery. Well thats another story. Is it worth it? Yes 100 percent. The process took about 6 hours and the entire time I was awake except for the last hour or so. You have to lay on a flat board basically that is about shoulder width wide and cant move. They do drug the hell out of ya so you are on cloud nine but you still feel your heart racing. I had about 15 people in the room so it felt like I was on some Star Trek set lol. The procedure itself did not hurt at all. It took me about 2 weeks to fully heal where they went in at my groin area. The first month or so I still had heart issues but did not have Vtach anymore. I know take the meds to help with my SVT and AT issues. But if the doc suggests getting the EP Study done I would def do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.