Coming off ramipril

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been taking 5mg ramipril / 5 mg Amlodipine for H Bp for approx 5 years. In past year have experienced ED, and now osteoarthitus in hip quite bad. Am 51 so trying to avoid hip replacement for few years. 

Been looking at side effects of Ramipril, my BP approx 125 / 75 so thing reducing and then coming off ramipril, just wanting to ensure is safe to do so. Unable to see GP who prescribed medication due to working and living overseas. Grateful for any advice or similar experience.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If your BP is regularly that level, I would ask WTF are you on meds for? Get yourself a BP meter and keep testing. If you are consistantly getting that sort of reading go and see a doc and get off that stuff. But keep monitoring!
  • Posted

Sorry to be ignorant but what is ED?       I do feel you should find an alternative GP before you come off any medication

I  was taken off Ramipril because of the shortness of breath and feeling off colour.   I suspect I will need an alternative.  

I have now been off Rampril for approx. 3 weeks and I had hoped the shortness of breath would have reduced, but no.   Its not really affecting me too much but obviously not normal - a bit like anxiety but I am not anxious about anything particular, although I did go through a stressful summer.

• Posted

If I was you (and I am not a doctor, I am a well read lay-man who has exactly shared your experience)  I would first come off the drug that you suspect is giving you the most problems, in my case Amlodipine gave me DREADFUL swollen ankles.  we live for a good deal of the year, and my next door neighbour, who happens to be a GP, told me they never use that drug in Spain, because of the climate and higher temperatures it is not useful, so I came off that one first.  As my swollen ankles subsided, I started to try to walk 5 miles a day, sometimes I didn't manage that far, but always managed some sort of walk.  I tool my BP once a week, when I was feeling relaxed, and it didn't go back up.  The Ramipril I discontinued because we were driving back through France, enjoying a touring holiday for a month, and we realised we didn't have enough Ramipril for me and hubby, and so I decided he should take mine, as his BP was higher than mine.  I got back to the UK and rather shamefacedly went to see my GP, with a spreadsheet of my blood pressures, and explained what I had done and why.  He said,  'Excellent, you are no longer hypertensive, I'll strike it off your notes'  So don't worry about stopping the drugs, so long as you check your BP and it doesn't shoot back up, you'll be fine. 

?Just another thought, re your hip pain - are you also on Statins - they can cause awful joint pain.

?Natural remedies for high blood pressure include 30 min brisk walk, 5 times a week, hibiscus tea and also ground flax seeds, very high in Omega 3, my hubby has 3 dessertspoons a day in fullfat yoghurt.  His BP is better than it was on any medication.  My BP is now consistently 110/70.  Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi thanks very much for information  
  • Posted

Sorry about all the typos!
  • Posted

If you have a VPN blocker, you might like to watch the second episode of 'the doctor who gave up drugs' on BBC IPlayer.  There are 3 case studies, the third of which is a number of 'heart patients' who were taken off their BP med's and statins and taken on organised walks.  All of them improved their markers.  The other thing you might consider is reducing the carbohydrates in your diet as very often high BP and indeed ED is linked to insulin resistance, high blood glucose.  Again, walking (more exercise of any sort) would be beneficial for that.  

• Posted

Thanks, very useful information, will look up the program on Iplayer, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.