Coming off rivaroxaban

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. I was ablated in early December with overall positive but not perfect results. It has significantly reduced my episodes and the few I have had have been less severe. i still "in recovery" but with the approval of my consultant, I've managed to wean off verapamil but I'm currently still on 20mg rivaroxaban, but I hope to come off this too after seeing my consultant againnext month. I've heard that stopping warfarin can lead to problems, but I'm interested to know what possible issues folks may have experienced with ending the xeralto? Thanks.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I will be watching this post with great interest. I too take rivaroxiban as well as 2.5 mg rampril. I wasn't sure if I'd taken these meds on Wed a m . That afternoon I had lightheadiness, odd head feeling but BP and pulse seemed OK. Got up next day and I was so dizzy I needed to be helped to the loo! I got a bit better as the day went on. Today I'm a bit better,still got the lightheaded feeling but not as bad as wed.

I was. Wondering if it was the rivaroxiban or the rampril withdrawal ?

• Posted

You are lucky not to have this prescribed! It's for BP coz I have A/F which is now permanent. Thankfully I'm off the betablocker,bisop and latterly atenolol. Side effects were worse than the Palps. I regularly keep an eye on my BP and pulse,both of which doesn't seem to have changed since stopping the beta blocker. 

I was hoping to stop the rampril but after suffering withdrawal since forgetting to take it ...even for just one day,has been so bad. I'm here sitting with what I can only describe as a stress head,but it's much better than Thursday. 

I hope that you can manage to stop the rivaroxiban. I am very envious that you are well enough and have your cardio docs permission to do so. Brill news.

• Posted

I came off verapamil slowly. Cut down gradually over 6 weeks. Had to start again after a bad episode which I believe was due to my letting myself become dehydrated, and that slowed progress. I'm convinced now that dehydration is a trigger factor for me. I'm lucky. My consultant is keen to help me ditch meds but is also realistic that he might need to ablate me a second time. He had roughly 80%success on his first go, and I took about 3 weeks to fully recover. I was having episodes every 5-7 days, lasting 24hrs. Now, I've had just five since my procedure, all milder and shorter. Still about 8-13hrs, but a huge, huge improvement and no tachycardia either. Just a Congo!
  • Posted

I have twice stopped warfarin against medical advice due to the joint pain that it gave me. First time for about a year and then for 14 months. I went back on it last week as I am due to have an ablation although they said that they would do it without I did not like the shortened odds of having a stroke during it.
    • Posted

Yes, it was pre op that I had to start taking the rivaroxaban Derek. I was rotten on it the first week, and still have some joint pain in my elbows so keen to come off it asap frankly!
  • Posted

Hi I've been on Rivaroxaban twice for both ablations pre-op and post-op. I am no longer on it. When I stopped taking it I had no side effects at all. None. I felt great. I also had none when I was taking it.  
    • Posted

That's really interesting to hear. Did you have to wean off or is it safe to just stop once advised?
    • Posted

Rivaroxabasn is the same as Apixaban [a blood thinner with no antidote],

i stopped Apixaban after speaking with my GP I was told by my GP it was OK just to stop taking it, i now take non chemical alternatives to help thin the blood & also to help the heart function, & i feel great.

see my previous posts which indicates what i am now taking.  

• Posted

Great stuff. Thank you for that one. Its all useful to know. I'll check your other posts.
    • Posted

Sorry to trouble you but I can't find your previous post regarding the non chemical alternative to apixaban. Were you prescribed beta blocker..bisop? Or rampril? If you also stopped these medications ,did you have withdrawal symptoms.  Thanks. 
    • Posted

beta blocker were suggested to me bymy cardiologist but i declined , the alternatives i take to thin my blood are my choice & not prescibed, they are : 

Vitamin E 1000mg, Garlic capsuls 1000mg, Extra High strength Omga 3 Krill, i also take Magnesium citrate 200mg. i also take care not to eat food that is high in vitamin K , this assists helps blood clotting 

instead of Sinvastatin i take High doses of Plant Sterols 1300mg.

My GP admitted to me that if you are Magnesium & also Potasium deficient, it could be a cause of AF

Vitamin K levels in veg' & also Best Natural Blood Thinners Link below

http://www.drgourmet.com/warfarin/vegetables.shtml#.VsmtUqTcshk

http://www.healthline.com/health/high-blood-pressure/best-natural-blood-thinners#VitaminE7

I do hope the moderators allow these very usefull links

thanks

• Posted

Thank you so very much. I've read the articles as you've suggested. Very interesting stuff. Unfortunely,I've been given meds for the past 5/6 years. I wish I'd been better informed. It's now, trying to get off the rampril and rivaroxiban. I've just had 4 days of awful withdrawal just after forgetting one days meds. It could have been either of these two meds. Today I'm headache free! I've been checking BP and pulse for the past few days and all seemed to be ok. 

Many may dispute my thinking,but I'm convinced the meds were the trouble. It's now scary to think about coming off them I will get my head round it but for now I'm staying put. I'm definitely going to get rid!

Thank you again. Hope your keeping well.

• Posted

I've never had withdrawl symptoms when stopping any BP med or warfarin
  • Posted

Very interesting. As someone who has just had a positive diagnosis for PAF, I am now being "pressured" to start on Rivaroxoban. I am concerned about side effects and downsides, and therefore will follow this part of the discussion with interest
    • Posted

I have permanent A/F. I've had bisoprolol,then atenlol....rotten side effects, aspirin,then clopidogrel and rivaroxiban for the past 18 mths. Oh ,I'm only on rampril 2.5 mgs now. I've had no side effects from the rivaroxiban... None that I'm aware of. I didn't want warfarin,because of the monitoring and possible side effects. I believe the rivaroxiban is a whole lot expensive and possibly this is why many people are on warfarin. There is some research and trials for an antidote for rivaroxiban. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

When i was taking Apixaban

[which does exactly the same as Rivaoxiban] i seemed to tolerate it well,

but i was having some side effects but at first was not aware it was the Apixaban, theses were stiffer & more painfull joints,tiredness low energy, & of course the eventual Bleeding of my Prostate, i have also read on the internet there is a prostate cancer scare with Apixaban.

Following on from my previous post which is being moderated..My answer to Elizabeth Question about withdrawl when stopping my Meds, No i had No Withdrawal symptoms at all...only that i felt much much better & fitter just one week after stopping them. 

• Posted

Reginald, the first week, I struggled with it. By day 4, I was utterly exhausted, and unable to function. I had to go sick off work due to light headedness and feeling as if I had flu. I slept for almost 3 days. From then on, my body seemed to adjust and in the main I've been ok. Just more recently the joint aches in my elbows. I bruise worse than before and they take longer to go. I've had cuts with no particular bleeding issues so far! My consultant advised that if I was struggling, to change me to the apixaban, so there must be some subtle differences between the two I guess. Hope this may be of use to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.