Coming off sertralin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, any advise would be grateful........

I have been on 200mg of sertralin per day for the last 2 yrs. I started having funny do's, the elec shock feelings, dizziness, didn't feel me and felt as though I was cracking up,which the doc tells me it's the sertraline and menopause symptoms, so I have come off the sertraline fully over the last 6 weeks. Well.....the elec shock feelings are 100 times worse, very itchy skin all over body, easily teared at sensitive issues and now I think I have got arthiritus in my elbows, wrists, shoulders and neck, due to constant ache in these areas. I had been feeling the ache in my right elbow say for the last 6 months but it seems to of spread to the other areas I have just mentioned.  Does anyone know if this is due to coming off the tablets ? My doc has told me the elec shock feelings can carry on for a couple of month once off the tablets completely. Not really discussed the other issues as the elec shocks were the most intense symptom, now I feel it's them and this arthiritus feeling. I plan on going back to work on Friday, which will be a total of 6 week off but this arthiritus feeling is really getting to me.........help !!!!! 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi ive just been looking at your letter and to be honest if i was you i wod go back to the docs as to be honest 200mg serteraline is quite alot and if your getting electric shocks then i wod want off and maybe its time to change medication all the best
  • Posted

2 years on 200mg of Sertraline then coming off them completely in 6 weeks, in my opinion if far too quick. With this drug the withdrawal rate should be much slower, possibly 3/6 months!

I would say you are definitely suffering withdrawal symptoms!

• Posted

The doctor did at 1 point say I may be coming off them too quick but I just felt I needed to get off them as soon as possibleand I would deal with the effects. I dont feel down just them things happening to me and I feel that the tablets must of been masking all this and my body has really  gone downhill since taking them. I think if it was confirmed its definitely side effects of coming off the tablets and all would stop eventually it would give me peace of mind. Maybe I need another chat with my doctor for clarification. 

Thank you you for your  input/advise,

julie

• Posted

Hi julie, I'm not a doctor but if it is withdrawal then it's your body missing the medication.... you could try taking a small dose, say 25mg for a while to see if that helps settle things down!

Ultimately though, a trip to your doctor is the best thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.