Coming off Sertraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on Sertraline for around 3 months now, starting with 50mg , which got moved up to 100mg 3 weeks ago. I needed the heightened dose because my anxiety and depression were so pervasive that I could no longer go to work or be around close friends. I locked myself up inside. It did gradually improve, actually no, it suddenly improved. within the first week of 100mg I was able to get up on stage and perform at an open mic night, something that would have send me into a panic attack 1 week prior. Since it's been in my system for longer than a week, things have gone from worse to deep sea tragic. I contemplated and planned out a suicide attempt yesterday, regardless of how my family and friends would react. Since then I stopped taking the Sertraline. It's now been 2 days without any tablets. I am well aware that doctors recommend slowly reducing the dose and I feel reckless in doing the opposite. But for some bizarre eventuality, I feel great! I finally feel hopeful for my own future and can recognise positive thoughts returning to my subconscious. Is it strange to have this initial reaction after suddenly coming off anti-depressants?.. I want to know if I've somehow altered my serotonin levels positively or if I've just made a very bad decision. I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced this too?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

It is very dangerous to go cold turkey on medication, especially if they're antidepressants. There's no knowing how you will be affected. Just because you feel fine now doesn't mean you wont feel terrible later.

I know it can be discouraging to still feel suicidal and depressed when you're taking medication to stop that kind of thing. But medication is not a cure, IMO depression never really goes away. BUT, they do help tremendously. Maybe this medication just isn't right for you.

I understand feeling happily surprised that you're feeling good right now, but I strongly encourage you speak to your doctor. It all seems placebo. You've only felt this short term.

I personally would also recommend CBT, if you have the resources. If not, looking into practicing mindfulness or CBT methods. It went hand in hand with my medication to helping me tremendously by helping to change my mindset and how I would respond to thing naturally. It is hard to break, but with the work and time it is possible. Medication alone wouldn't have provided the same relief for me. You really are the maker of your own reality...

I wish the best for you. Please take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.