Coming off Sertraline and stomach problems !!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I been on Sertraline 100MG for about 4 years now. My doctor decided to take me off of it in a matter of 1 month. From 100MG I went down to 75MG for a week and then 50MG for another week, 25MG and poof done. I know this is very quick, but that’s what my doctor decided and not even the pharmacist said anything about it. I suffer from IBS as well, it’s about 2-3 weeks I’m off Sertraline and I can’t keep anything down, every time I eat I get stomach pains and off to the bathroom! Not sure if anyone can relate 😩

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yep I think you pretty much answered your own question, for being on 100mg of sertraline for 4 years that’s the fastest taper I ever heard of! Plus having ibs I’m sure exasperates the extremely fast taper. What reason did your Dr tell you to taper down that quickly? That should have at least taken around 6 months. 
    • Posted

I have no clue, to be honest I think he’s a little lost. At first he wanted to keep me at 25MG and when I finished my pills he was like no your staying off them.  So now I’m so confused on what to do. 
  • Posted

You should definitely taper slower. Some sources recommend 10% dosage decrease every 4 weeks.

Also: Did you take Sertraline on an empty stomach?

• Posted

Nope never I would eat before taking it 
    • Posted

what are your stomach symptoms now? and did you encounter them, before going off the meds as well?
    • Posted

Very bad abdominal pain. As I’m eating I have to go straight to the bathroom. I would get this before I ever took Sertraline, maybe because of my IBS but now it started again, if I have to leave the house for work or anything I can’t eat, that’s my only solution at the moment.
    • Posted

So like diarrhoe? Cause you wrote abdominal pain, and (no native speaker here) that means more like the guts. 

But in the title it says "stomach" - so are you dealing with both? also problems in the "upper/stomach area" like belching, heartburn, regurgitation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.