Coming off the booze

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys. So I've basically realised that I need to stop drinking for a good while if not altogether. I have been to see my councillor and she has warned me of the possibility of side effects. I am particularly terrified of delirium tremens and seizure's although they are not exremly common. My last drink was on Friday night. I have bad insomnia and anxiety right now and am debating going to doctor on call to get a prescription for Librium.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Vicky. Great plan! Medication is often best. Perhaps see yr gp if you ready to tell everything. Tricky situation and delirium tremens must be horrific. Your body is craving booze and it will take quite some time before you feel better. Keep trying since you will gradually feel better. Robin
    • Posted

Thanks Robin im getting the support from my local addiction team so they will keep track of everything.
  • Posted

How many units were you consuming a day for how long?
    • Posted

I had 2 bottles of wine every other night or couple of nights for about the past year.
  • Posted

Hi Vicky

Have seen my Husband go through dts and seizures, so awful and life threatening.

Chlordiazpoxide (Librium) does bring you down safely, but our Gp would never prescribe it because you will need to have someone with you as it will make you very drowsy and confused. Also you will not be able to drive or go to work.

We always had to be referred to our local detox team at the hospital.

Hope everything is ok for you

Kind Regards

Julie Anne

• Posted

Thanks Julie Anne. I'm not working at the moment anyway and have an amazing support system. Still haven't asked for Librium yet I'm just gonna see how everything goes. X

• Posted

Anxiety and insomnia are normal when coming off alcohol. Alcohol acts like a relaxant for the brain, thereby stopping anxiety. Alcohol also acts like a brake on the brain, so when you stop taking it, your brain accelerates for a few days before it settles down. This very active brain is what is causing you sleepless nights. By tomorrow these effects should begin to subside.

Librium would of course help, for both the anxiety and insomnia.

• Posted

Thank you :-). I'm gonna leave it a few days and see if everything settles down before I ask my gp for Librium.

• Posted

That is what I am frightened of.  So I have tapered slowly down.  I felt groggy at first as did a 50% reduction in one go and it was too much.  But now each day is better, feel more calm.  My doc gave me Diazepam but I have not used any.  I was fine  tapering.
    • Posted

Hi gwen. I've basically been advised to stop altogether because I find it impossible to have just the one bottle or glass of wine without looking for more after. Just gonna see how I get on the next few days.

• Posted

Hi vicky 

coming off drink is possibly one of the hardest things you can do .. however luckily modern healthcare has realised the widespread alcohol problem so there plenty of support avalible 

the DT,s are scary,however the severety depends on two factors .. these are 

1) how long you have been drinking and 

2) what you have been drinking ( eg cider,wine or spirits like whisky or vodka ) 

i say this as ive been through numerous detox,s and the last one ( around 17 years ago ) i was drinking 15ltrs of white cider a day .. i was informed to expect the worse during detox however i was fairly calm through the detox with the help of librium 

however ive known people with a severe vodka addiction who have had seizures and bad dt,s .... however its impossible to determine if you will get the dt,s as we are all different and some brains are more sensetive than others ... like i said there many factors ( mainly the 2 above ) but someone with existing high blood pressure or diabetes may have problems with dt,s 

no gp or councillor should condone cestation of drinking .. you need to slowly reduce your alcohol consumption ( much like a codeine addict would reduce the amount of tablets they take ) ...this would 

1) reduce any side effects 

2) make any detox much easier and safer 

i allways look at addictions like "cushions" ... these addictions allow us to cope with life slightly easier however take the cushion away and life becomes much harder ... however this is only temporary ... life does become easier again but instead of relying of drink you need to develop a coping mechanism .....and one of the best is simple exersize .... going to the gym or even running .. this promotes the release of endorphines which are the bodys natural "feel good" chemicals ...

i apologise if im sounding too much "to the point" but you need to be honest when talking about quitting alcohol .... and more important you need to be doing it for the right reasons ... if you do it to please someone else then its more likely to fail .. however if you are doing it because you "want" to then your going to be more succesfull

i wish you all the best vicky and hope you succeed 

bri xx

• Posted

Hi Bri thanks for the reply. I had been drinking 2 bottles of wine a night about 4 nights a week for the past year. I have been advised to stop altogether but when I see the actual addiction team next week hopefully they can give me more advice. I feel not too bad at the moment its been 36 hours since my last drink. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.