Coming off Venlafaxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

First time that I have ever posted anything ever so very new at this. I have had depression for 10 years and after relapsing last year was put on 75mg venlafaxine. This was then quickly increased by my psychiatrist to 150mg and then 225mg. Although the 225mg dose actually eased the depression and anxiety (the only medication that has ever done this) it also left me devoid of any feelings really at all. I was like a zombie and exhausted and my personality had just gone. The doctors also told me that there was basically nothing else they could do for me and that I should just take the pills, quit work and stay at home. I refused to give up work and gave up on doctors who advised me that if I wanted further treatment I would have to pay private but to let them know if I was to harm myself. That is messed up! I realised that me and my partner were on our own medical wise and my trust in doctors all but vanishe. I started to feel better mentally and so decided to come off venlafaxine. I started to reduce my dose gradually in January and each drop in medication resulted in flu like symptoms that after 1-2 weeks tapered off. My doctors disagreed with my decision but i finally took my last tablet on Sunday 1st June. Then hell began. I was expecting it to be bad as I could tell from the reductions I had done that it was a hard drug to come off but nothing could have prepared me for this. I had taken a weeks annual leave from work in anticipation and thankgoodness I did. Sickness, nausea, diharrhoa, stomach cramps, headaches, bile rising up into my throat, shaking, temperature, pouring with sweat 1 minute then freezing cold the next, brain zaps, swooshing sounds in my ears, my whole body jolting uncontrollably, extreme restlessness, insomnia and realy itchy sensitive skin AND THAT WAS JUST THE PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS. Contant uncontrollable crying and hysterics, really dark thoughts, awful mood swings, panic attacks. I feel like I have been possessed and I don't even recognise myself when I look in the mirror. Nothing eases it, I have tried painkillers, breathing techniques, baths, distraction (I can;t concentrate at all). In desperation I went to the doctor and was told "I told you so" and that if I had done it their way then I would of had no withdrawal symptoms at all if I came off it when they deemed it was appropriate. I was then told to go back on it. I refused as why on earth would I put myself back on a drug that does this to you and I wasn't about to come off it again and go through this hell again. So then I was given 2mg diazapam and was sent away. I told the doctor though that pills were pointless as I wasn't keeping anything down and so that was a huge waste of time. The truth is doctors don't understand mental health and there isn;t enough funding in this country to provide adequate help and resources. I went back to work last monday (9th) and lasted 2 hours before having to come home. The physical symtoms have improved maybe 10 % but the mental withdrawal is worse than ever. To be honest, I don't know what else to do and would be really grateful for any advice. Thanks.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Abbie2589

i came off ven some months ago! The side effects are horrific and concentration is at it's worst, it took me at least a month to feel some normality and then I was glad I gave them up! however, what I decided to do was like you said distract myself with anything that worked - firstly I started with meditation and positive thinking apps on my ipad! these things I found I didn't need to concentrate on at all! just relax and let them do their job. A couple of years ago I watched a movie called 'the secret' by Rhonda Byrne and I liked the concept but found I had trouble with sticking to it as it wasn't really 'spelled out' to you step by step, and I'm fairly well educated so find it easy to read between the lines  but this full life change was just missing something. Then I found by the same creator/author a book called the 'magic' there it all is in black and white! I cannot tell you if this book will make you a millionaire or change your life in any way - but my life has done a complete turn around, it has made me the happiest person that ever lived and that has to be worth it's weight in gold. To me it is the way I want to spend the rest of my life, so I will keep following the magic....the best money I have ever spend! Good luck with everything for your future and I wish you all the best xxx

• Posted

Thank you. I do feel that people need to be warned of these horrific withdrawal symptoms when they are put on Venlafaxine. Glad you have found something that works for you and I wish you all the best for the future.x
  • Posted

Abbi now you are medication free you must keep it that way. You need to see this as a process with a beginning and an end and you are nearly at the end. Remember that And remind yourself that you CAN do this!! Cut yourself some slack and take a month off sick from work. Your job at the moment is to let your body heal itself and that should be your only occupation for the time being. Take paracetamol for the aches and pains, when you can keep it down and also high dose Omega 3 capsules(1200mg)3*daily to help your brain and bones recover. Try to walk somewhere peaceful in the fresh air, rest and sleep when you need to, if you can and try to focus on what you will do when this is over - plan a celebration or a holiday in your mind, in detail to keep you focussed on the positive. Good luck and hugs, Sue x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I must admit I feel slightly albeit very slightly better as the days go on. It is just difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel, at times it feels like the light is blocked with a bolder. I have read a lot of posts that say that Omega 3 helps but I can not take them as I am a vegetarian. sad I am trying to plan things for the future which I find is helping. So many people seem to be telling me to go back on Venlafaxine but that is not an option for me so I am returning all leftover tablets to the chemist. Thank you again for your kind words and advice.x
  • Posted

So glad to find this discussion. I have come across so many old threads but never any recent ones. I live in the U.S. and have been hating this effexor for so long. Psychiatrists do not want to take you off because it can be so difficult. Right now I am trying to get off slowly. I feel so tired. My head feels bad. I hope you all are feeling better. I will write more when I do not feel so tired.
    • Posted

I went from 225mg to nothing in 6 months but I think maybe I should have taken a bit longer especially with reducing from 75mg onwards as the lower the dose the worse the effects were and the longer it seemed to take to "level" back out.i Didn't want to go back to the doctors after my experience last week with a GP I saw last week who I wrote about in my first post. However, Wednesday (11th) I tried a different GP that was really nice and understanding and sympathetic. Yes she admitted that there was a limited amount that she could do but just the fact that she listened and was sympathetic and didn't just see me as a "number" really made a difference. She prescribed some Zopiclone 7.5mg and asked me to go back today to check in. The Zopliclone helped a little so today she listened to me again and prescribed some more Zopiclone and some Lorazapam to take. Both medications are only for short term use but my doctor says if I can get some sleep and keep myself a bit calmer then that will help the other syptoms so I will see how I get on with the lorazapam. I hope that you are soon feeling better. It truly is an awful experience that nobody understands unless there are going/have gone through it. x
    • Posted

I have been trying this on my own. I am not too fond of the psych doc who prescribed this several years ago. I have to admit I needed something for how I was feeling. It did help for a while. But I have continued to have the same underlying symptom of fatigue and tiredness. Right now I feel really tired. Am down to about 20 grains of the effexor. It has taken a month to not have those dizzy type feeling in my head. Now I just feel dog tired. My concern now is whether or not what I am feeling is depression. I am needing to find a new gp. Hard to find one who is taking new patients. Especially a woman. I might have to suck it up and go back to my current gp. Have you been feeling really tired?
  • Posted

Hi Abbie

I know exactly what you mean by 'being left devoid of feelings' - it struck a chord with me, as I had exactly the same experience with venlafaxine, and only really appreciated that emptiness when I stopped taking it.  I had been taking 150 mg slow release for many years.

At the time, because I could 'feel' again, I thought it was the best thing that I had ever done.

Having read some of the recent posts about this, I also now realise that I was very fortunate in that I didn't have a problem stopping it.  I had a broken pelvis, and was taking oromorph, which probably obtunded any physical withdrawal symptoms.  However - I had real trouble stopping Seroxat some years before - especially brain zaps and shaking. 

It seems from what you have said that the NHS has let you down badly.  I think only you can decide whether or not to return to the meds, but if you don't there are other things that may help.  For me, it is walking, ideally in the countryside - it increases endorphin release, and is distracting.  It somehow puts things into perspective.  The fresh air, wild birds, trees and so on, that you can now appreciate in your Venlafaxine-free state, are a joy. 

I think it might help to make a plan for the next few weeks.

Perhaps make a list of things that you enjoy, such as swimming, going to the cinema, or whatever, and actually do them.  This takes some strength, but worked for me. If you can afford it, perhaps have your hair done, or have a manicure, or whatever might improve your self esteem.  It might help to take a close friend with you. 

Good food, plenty of water, and rest (if you can) are important. 

It sounds as if you should get yourself signed off work, if at all possible, until you are back on an even keel, and can concentrate again.  I don't know what you do, but it seems to me that it is less damaging to your career to take sick leave, than to make mistakes, or to fall apart emotionally in front of a client, or even your colleagues.  People forget about sick leave ...

I was fine for a couple of years (I have had depression intermitently for at least 36 years, first treated when I was 17), but crashed at New Year, and I am very much better on Sertraline, which I shall continue to take for the foreseeable future. 

I think it is difficult to tell whether the psychological symptoms of withdrawal are just that, or actually due to the recurrence of the disease.  Some of us just don't make or release enough serotonin to stay well - and need an SSRI.  Just as someone with diabetes needs to take insulin. In my case, recently, it was a question of acceptance.  I am OK with the idea now.

You clearly have good reason to mistrust the medical profession in this respect, but perhaps keep an open mind to the idea of starting a different antidepressant if the symptoms of depression and anxiety continue for much longer.  It can be difficult to recognise how ill one is, with depression, and you may be relapsing.

My GP of twenty years retired recently.  We were good friends, but I always had the impression that he thought my depressive episodes were somewhat amusing, having never suffered from it himself. He was of the 'pull yourself together' school of thought, and as you and I both know, you just can't do that, however much you might want to.

When he retired, I changed practice, and my new GP openly told me that he had also suffered from severe clinical depression.  As a result he is hugely empathetic, and I feel very safe under his care. 

At a time when you are in need of a great deal of support, such as now, you need a doctor whom you can trust not to be judgmental, and to care, and to take an interest. What you don't need is a GP or psychiatrist who takes the 'I know best', 'I told you so' attitude.  I don't beleive that you should have to embark on stopping Venlafaxine without some decent medical care - it is your choice, and having made that choice, you need comfort, reassurance and support.

I would seriously consider changing your GP. 

You may know, but Winston Churchill, the inventor of the 'Black Dog' expression, once said 'when the going gets tough, keep going'.  I often think of that during the dark times.

I hope this has helped a little, and that you are feeling heaps better soon - good luck. xx

• Posted

i. Thank you for your reply. Didn't want to go back to the doctors after my experience last week with a GP I saw last week who I wrote about in my first post. However, Wednesday (11th) I tried a different GP that was really nice and understanding and sympathetic. Yes she admitted that there was a limited amount that she could do but just the fact that she listened and was sympathetic and didn't just see me as a "number" really made a difference. She prescribed some Zopiclone 7.5mg and asked me to go back today to check in. The Zopliclone helped a little so today she listened to me again and prescribed some more Zopiclone and some Lorazapam to take. Both medications are only for short term use but my doctor says if I can get some sleep and keep myself a bit calmer then that will help the other syptoms so I will see how I get on with the lorazapam. She has asked me to go back and see her again Wednesday. It has really helped seeing her though and being able to talk to her without judgement. Planning positive things have helped and I am extremely fortunate to have a fiancee that is amazing and has been by my side throughout this. Also music has helped. Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. x
    • Posted

I am so pleased that you have found a GP who listens, empathises and is doing something constructive to help you.  Having a doctor who is non-judgmental is so very important.  I am also glad that she is seeing you on a very regular basis - I think anyone going through what you are needs that kind of support.  Also it is great that you have a fiance that is so good and understanding - it surely bodes well for the future if the two of you can offer each other strength, in your different ways, at a time in your life like this. 

Be careful of Zopiclone, and particularly of Lorazepam.  They work well, and in different ways, but both are potentially addictive.  It seems that your GP is very wise to this, since it is only prescribed as a short term measure.

It is so good to hear you sounding better - very best wishes xx

• Posted

I have a very helpful psychiatrist who explained things to me about coming off medication VERY SLOWLY - and only the one going through it can decide how much they can put up with as regards withdrawal symptoms - it's a case of reaching a balance. I trust him (so i suppose I'm lucky) because he discusses everything with me as an adult, and explains it all - that's what you need.  The GPs in my local group practice are very variable, there are some that understand and one or two who put everything down to anxiety as soon as they read "mental health problems". One word of caution - I'd be carefully about taking diazepam, I was told it can be addictive after only 2 week's use. There are other tranquillisers available. Good Luck in your battle!
    • Posted

My psychiatrist judged my mental health on whether or not I was having a good or bad day on that particular day and just wanted to increase my medication so I honestly found him no hope whatsoever. I have found a nice gp this week though who is trying and actually listening to me. Not taking the diazepam anymore as it didn't help. Trying short term Zopiclone and Lorazapam. But doctor is keeping a very close eye and I am going back next week. Thanks for your advice, it is definately a battle!x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.