Coming off Venlafaxine XL

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I've been on this drug for 10 years at 75mg, more recently 150mg.

I've always known that coming off these is a nightmare, as even if I was late with a dose I would feel unwell, zaps in the head, tired, sick, you name it!

I've decided I want to come off altogether (for a variety of reasons) and I thought I'd share my progress as I go along.

Despite my GP suggesting that I just drop from 150 to 75mg in one hit, I have decided to do it really slowly and cautiously to avoid withdrawal symptoms. I went from 150 - 130mg (1 x 75, 1 x 37.5 and half a 37.5) to get to around the 130 mg mark. This was 6 days ago.

Even with this slight decrease I have noticed the withdrawal.

I'm determined to stick with it, and stabilise, until these symptoms wear off - then I'll be reducing down to 112 mg.

It'd be great to hear of your attempts/success stories and/or your experience on this drug.

Thanks for reading x  

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi, my GP took me from 300mg to 0 in two weeks a few years back. I felt really ill with it but the withdrawal symptoms stopped quite quickly after I finished taking it. It's hard but definitely worth it. Eat and drink as healthily as you can while withdrawing and do it as slow as you need to. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much better you feel once you're off it completely. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks Rox for the sound advice.

Yes, I was a little concerned that the drugs will unveil something if I stop, but I feel in my gut that I'm doing the right thing by coming off, and I'm looking forward to the positive changes it may bring.

Hopefully, I'll lose this weight it's piled on me over the years smile

Lots of luck to you too x   

• Posted

Hi All,

Back again!

I wonder if I could pick your brains/memories?

I'm now 7 days in to a very slow withdrawal from Venlafaxine 150mg (currently taking 130mg, so no great jump)

Ive had lots of physical withdrawal symptoms, such as feeling sick and tired, but I've also noticed a strange numbing that has happened in the last week. I feel totally indifferent to everything and detached from things I'd normally give a reaction to.

Do you recall having this at all when you were withdrawing?

Love H x

• Posted

No Helen I did not feel like that when I was withdrawing.  I had no symptoms at all.  But we are all different.  Well done on going slowly.  Like I said let things stabalise before you reduce further.  I am sorry you are getting these withdrawal symptoms.  Make sure you reduce by tiny amounts at a time.  You are doing well.
  • Posted

it was hell coming off, besides the nausea, brain Zaps, headaches, mood swings, there is tons of weight gain as well... i hate that I started this drug...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.