Coming off Zopiclone: the 'Ashton Manual'

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

As someone who was highly addicted to Zopiclone (20+ per day at my worst), I just thought it might help fellow sufferers to read a tapering protocol, put together by medics, and even print it off to take to your doctor/GP for help.  I was actually SO addicted, I put myself in rehab for 6 weeks to come off the Zs. However, many doctors/GPs don't understand addiction & as I learned in rehab, it is up to us to educate them......  I've pasted the link below. 

Hope it helps. There IS light at the end of the tunnel!

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

Shelagh

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That was great for you to put this on Shelagh and you certainly have been through a rough time - a fantastic way of helping others through understanding and applying answers for others going through what you have gone through. Hope people can print it out. You are right - I have had to also print off information to show to doctors so everyone is doing a great job of doing research about this.
    • Posted

Thanks Jennifer. I think it's great that we can help each other. I hope you are getting the best treatment from your doc.

Big hug

Shelagh

• Posted

Hi shelagh av wrote all this down ready to bring to my doc as I was refused any help on Monday n told to go away and write a plan do u think this could help and the doctor would take notice xx
    • Posted

Hi Vicky

As you will have seen, there is a table showing the equivalence of zopiclone to diazepam (7.5 Z = 5 mg Diaz) & the table shows how to withdraw slowly. Can you print off the table and the front page of the manual to show your doc that it's a valid medical tool? As I said above, It is up to us to educate doctors/GPs about addiction as an illness - something I was taught in rehab. My first GP used this manual with me to try to help- but I messed up & kept buying the Zs which is why I ended up in rehab. I think it would have worked for me if I hadn't been going through bereavement and moving to another part of the country.

Anyway - so YES Vicky - take the info to your doc and tell him/her that you know that others are using the protocol to help them get off the Zs. Wishing you the best of luck. Let me know how you get on. Big Hug x

• Posted

No way of printing it of think tht would of been a lot better as well but av wrote it down so hopefully they will read it n offer some help, ye I have tried to stop a few times but as suffer with depression and used these as a calming method aswell as a sleeping 1, docs don't really want to help me but am hoping with this proper plan then they will understand how much I want to get of these thanks 4 ur reply means a lot to no there's support on here. Thank u n il let u no xxx
  • Posted

Hi Shelagh, I will be printing this off and giving it to my doc when I return from hols in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I'm still on repeat prescriptions, fortunately my doc is OK giving me them until a formal withdrawal procedure is started...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.