Coming up to 6 weeks on Sertraline

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hello, its my firs ttime posting on here after reading many messages on the forum already.  I started Sertraline around 5 !/2 weeks ago.  I started with the horrible side effects of insomnia, heightened anxiety etc...both have subsided but am not yet feeling any real benefit.  My sleep and appetite have improved somewhat both of which were quite impacted before I started the medication (symptoms of depression).

I guess I am just looing for reassurance that it is going to work.  I felt like I was losing the plot a while back - highly anxious negative thoughts and a really low depressed mood.  I started at 50mg, moved up to 75 and now at 87.5mg.

Thank you for feedback

C

0 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

welcome to the forum chiris - sounds like you're nearly at the stage where the meds will being to settle down in your system, everyones bodies react differently to sertraline as you've probably read good and bad posts, i think all in all, people have a good experience with it, think it's about getting the right dosage for you, i also started on 50mg and that was 10-11 months ago, i'm on 150mg now and feeling back to my normal self, have the odd iffy day, but nothing compared to what it was, my depression & anxiety was the reason for being on these meds :-)

• Posted

Hi ginge thanks for the message.  I really hope you're right. I have been taking the meds for six weeks today. Its been a very very tough ride so far....the depression first of all and then the start up effects of the medicine.  I am just praying it kicks in properly soon. I guess the few glimpses I've had are telling me that time may not be too far away? I am eating a bit better but my sleep is still not great.  Yet for the last two weeks I was sleeping well.  I guess its three steps forward, two back with this stuff.  Thanks again. Chris
    • Edited

no problem chris, a problem shared is a problem halved, and you will read so many different accounts to how people and their bodies have reacted to sertraline, it's different for everyone so you can't really say "you will feel better by such a time", it's just a waiting game unfortunately, but be reassured of this, we have all been there on here, which is why it's so great to continue posting even if there is a slight change in the way you feel, each and everyone of us has different devils with this medication and how it affects them and the way they feel, some have no adverse side effects and others have all of them at once!! or just a few, like me, i didn't have many compared to others on here. it can be very daunting when you're about to take your very first dose not knowing what's going to happen.  but you have to learn to trust the meds and just go with it, the more you try and resist or panic the more the side effects will be hightened. if i felt funny at any time i just put it down to the meds and tryed to relax with it and let it do it's job. 10 months on and i'm more back to normal than i have been for the past year and a half so trust it and let it work for you :-)

• Posted

I Know this post was a long time ago but I’m hoping you feel better and am curious to know when you noticed breakthrough benefits. I was on 200 for a while and then went down to 50 for a few months and then had a life change (new job) amen relapsed. Over the past month I increased from 50 to 100 to 200. Some days I feel like I haven’t improved at all and I’m nervous it wo wonr work for me like it used to
  • Posted

Your situation sounds alot like mine. I am on 50Mg. Thinking of bumping up mg.  I am still anxious after 21days. My worst battle is waking with fight or flight anxiety in morns. Makes for a rough star. to the day. Let me know if you see any improvement in the next wk or if u chose to make a change in med. What has ur Dr. said? Hope u find relief soon.
    • Posted

Hi christel thanks for your message .  I hope you're starting to feel better.  I can identify with the fight or flight feeling. Its agony at times?  I have been on meds six weeks today and can definitely say I am feeling better than six weeks ago.  The differences are very slight but they're there.  I am hoping that the next two weeks will see a significant breakthrough.  I returned to work yesterday after six weeks and I'm a teacher   I definitely wasn't fit to do my job even two or three weeks ago.  I'm also eating much better.  I think this stuff works    it just takes patience and time.
    • Posted

hi christe,

i was on 50mg for 4 weeks and then upped to 75mg, then 100mg and now i'm on 150mg for the past 12 weeks and i think i've found the right dosage on 150mg, i'm much better than i was on 50mg :-)

• Posted

I am so happy to hear that things are leveling out for u and that ur life is getting settlex back into a nice normal rountine! 
    • Posted

Hi Christel

I know its been 4 years since you placed your post here but was just wondering how long your morning fight or flight rushes lasted days/months? i get them every morning which gives me an internal tremble for much of the day and i hate them. Not even sure you'll see this post now!

thanks

• Posted

hi did it take the 12 wks to feel it was right for you? I am week 9 of 150mg and think it's working but not to the full benefits.

• Posted

Hi everyone, I started my journey again 4 weeks ago today.  Started on 25mg for few days then 50mg  and just today because I haven't had a huge improvement I have upped to. 75mg.   I just hate feeling anxious about feeling anxious.... I went on zoloft 3 years ago for pnd and it only took 3 weeks and I was back to myself so now I am stressing as to why it is taking longer this time.  Has anyone returned to zoloft with success? Also how long do you find increases take to kick in surely it would be quicker seeing as it's been in my system  for a month .. Thanks Nat 
    • Posted

How are u now nat? U sound same as me. Was quick first time round but this time its not working sad
    • Posted

I know it's been awhile since you post. Did you find it has made a diference? And at what dose?

• Edited

I'm nearly on week 8 and feel rubbish all side effects have come back! Week 6 I felt great but it was short lived...I spoke to my psychiatrist today and she said even for me it's too early to feel the effects.

I'd say hang in there.....

• Posted

They say hang in there I've been on sertraline for 27 weeks and still got low mood and anxitey how long sould you hang in there for its a joke I'm weening off now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.