Coming up to six months since acute pancreatitis diagnosis

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hi,

Looking for a bit of adivse/share my experiences with people.

In October I was rushed to hosptial where I found out I had acute pancreatitis from too much alcohol.

I was a heavy drinker from the age of 18 and I'm now 25. I was kept in hosptial for 6 days.

I was advised by one doctor to never a drink again where as most others suggested not to drink for 6 months.

I thought I new better than the doctors and had a couple of drinks at the weekend a month after getting out of hospital. This was a bad mistake.

On the Sunday evening it started with a stomach ache which lead to diarrhoea and being sick all night and was in a lot of pain throughout the night. The pain died down the next day and I stopped being sick so didn't go back to hospital.

I learnt from my lesson and have pretty much stayed away from alcohol up in until the last couple of weeks. I have had the odd shandy on the occasional evening and have been fine.

Those who are unsure about whether smoking has an affect- I have taken up smoking weed in the last month or so which has helped with craving having a beer,especially at my age where all of my mates like a good drink. I have had no problems with my pancreas since smoking weed.

Has anyone started drinking again more regularly since being diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and if so how have you been?

6 months is coming up for me in 3 weeks and I have a stag do mid May so want some suggestions on whether people think il be alright to drink over the weekend or not?

Thanks,

Arron.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've not drank a drop of alcohol in over 5 years . I was never a heavy drinker . The past year I've been admitted 3 times with acute pancreatitis . My numbers are usually around 19k . Dr's now say I have chronic pancreatitis . I'm literally scared to eat anything . I'm 47 and never had a problem before this last year . They have no idea why I've developed this .

• Posted

It seems that you are part of the 20% where the cause is not clear. Was Medication not perhaps the cause?

I am also wondering whether fatty foods could contribute to pancreatitis. 

• Posted

I am a heart patient and take alot of meds . Dr's say meds or diet isn't my problem . It has just come on out of the blue 

• Posted

Arron I really hope to hear from you I know you wrote this a long tome ago I got acute pancreatitis from drinking when I was 4 days from being 21 the luck my first attack was in 2012 then I had a second acute pancreatitis stay in the hospital in 2013 but have not had a episode since I drink still but not a lot but sometimes on vacation I will allow myself to feel good and smoke a little too I am now 26 but every time I drink on the back of my head I always think about pancreatitis in 2017 I had a baby never drank a sip and my child is 9 months now I'm just a drinker on the weekends.. I just want to know what people around my age do dealing with this !

• Posted

Hi, Im a 39 year old female with 2 kids, was diagnosed with pancreatic divism in late 2016.  I had pains leading up to a minor attack (just ER, didn’t need to be admitted) for about 6 months, always after alcohol too.  I was a social drinker who would binge on occasion and I decided to give up drinking for 6 months, and when that was done, I had 3 beers, they were great, but I paid for them with a flare up the next day.  So, no more drinking for me.  I’ve since gotten a medical marijuana prescription that helps immensely (medically and recreationally).  Though, I had a reaaaaalllly bad day yesterday and after over a year of not drinking again I cracked and had a beer last night, and here I am paying for it again now.  Moral of the story, it’s simply not worth it to drink ever again.  

• Posted

hi, I am 32 years old with chronic pancreatitis, I was diagnosed for acute pancreatitis wen i was 30 ,due to alchol, doctors advised no alchol for life, but i started drinking again a week after my discharge from hospital, now my chronic pancreatitis has the symptoms of pancreatic cancer, there is no cure unfortunately, take care and avoid alcohol completely if you have pancreatitis,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.